Chapter 10: Draco

January 2017

Lucy's POV

Vero was fast asleep next to me after a crazy night celebrating both my birthday and our one year anniversary. But I couldn't sleep. Guilt, passion, and apprehension played tug-of-war with my mind. I felt guilty for having moved on so fast from Lauren. But the amount of passion between Vero and me made it easy. Lauren and I had always shared the same views on life. In contrast, Vero offered a different perspective on things that caused me to reevaluate my previous thinking. She had such a different way of looking at life that I was constantly intrigued. Vero filled the voids in my thinking, and we just felt so right together.

But then, I used to think Lauren was right for me as well. Vero and I had tried everything to figure out what her lines meant. We'd sketched her disjointed lines on a piece of paper and tried making every single shape we could think of. We'd also tried researching online on birth-tattoo databases. But nothing we tried helped us. I grew more apprehensive as I fell deeper for Vero and it was driving me insane. I didn't think I could take it much longer. I needed to know if Vero and I were supposed to be partners; and if we weren't, I'd rather have my heart broken sooner than later. I couldn't go through another multi-year relationship if Vero and I were eventually going to end up with different partners.

Having tossed and turned apprehensively most of the night, I woke up the next day feeling extremely vulnerable.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Vero said when I wandered into the living room. "You know we had a wild night, when you wake up at 4pm." Vero stood up to kiss me but I backed away. "What's wrong?" she asked, "Bad breath?"

"Vero, I can't do this anymore."

"What'd you mean?"

"This! Us! We still haven't figured out what your lines mean! I'm falling more in love with you and I'm scared that one day someone new is going to come into one of our lives and the other is going to be devastated! I can't go through that again!"

I sat down on the couch with my head in my hands. Vero sat beside me, wrapped her arm around my shoulder, and said. "Luce, I know you're scared about the future. But-"

"I want to go to a tattoo shop. I want to see if we complete each other," I interrupted her sternly.

Vero got up and started pacing around the room, saying, "Okay, but what if-"

"Then we break up."

Vero glared at me and said, "We're not breaking up just because our fucking tattoos don't fit."

I looked at her incredulously and said, "Then what happens when we run into our real partners? One of us is going to get hurt!"

"Fuck you, Lucy," Vero snapped, "Fuck you for thinking that my love is so shallow. You want to know why you and Lauren broke up so easily? Because your entire fucking relationship was based on the idea that your tattoos matched! I've loved you my entire fucking life, knowing that we probably don't fit, knowing that you were meant for someone else. Don't my feelings count for anything?"

I stood up and yelled, "Fuck you, Vero for thinking that we broke up easily. Fuck you for thinking that my love for Lauren was shallow. You think it was easy for me to let her go? Do you know what happened to me when we tried to become complete, but couldn't? I spent the entire night throwing up! Even my body was rejecting the idea that Lauren and I weren't meant for each other! Do you know how many fucking nights I stayed up crying my eyes out and hurling into the toilet? Every single fucking night after we tried different tattoo shops but kept failing! I can't go through that again! We need to end this!" Angry tears fell from my eyes.