Chapter 19: Sun & Moon

August 2017

Dinah's POV

Normani and I decided not to text each other during our two weeks apart so that I could get over my feelings for her. That, however, was easier said than done. Every morning, I wanted to text her 'Good Morning, Princess' like I used to during the summer. When I went to bed at night, I wanted to know how her day went and tell her every little thing that happened in mine like we used to during our post-sex cuddle sessions. By the end of the two weeks, I was positively pining for Normani.

"D-mac is back, bitches!" I shouted after I unlocked the apartment and dragged my luggage into the living room. A pair of feet thundered down the stairs. Normani jumped down the last pair of steps and flung herself into my arms so hard that I lost my balance and fell backwards with her landing on top of me.

Normani giggled, "Oops, sorry DJ. I got too excited."

"That's okay, Princess," I said, moving a piece of hair out of her face.

Our eyes locked and we met each other half way in a frantic kiss. We jumped when we heard the door unlocking and broke off our kiss just in time. We looked up to see Ally, Lauren, and Camila staring at us.

"What're you guys doing on the floor?" Lauren asked.

I laughed it off and said, "Mani tried to give me a koala hug, but she obviously failed."

Normani laughed nervously and said, "Yeah, maybe you can show me how it's really done, Mila!"

Normani got off and helped me up. Camila jumped on Normani to give her a proper koala hug, while I hugged Lauren and Ally.

"Oh my gosh! We're all finally together again! After we unpack and stuff, we should all go to Waffle House and catch up on our summers!" Ally said excitedly to general assent.

Normani and I looked at each other, but quickly looked away. Lauren, Ally, and Camila hauled their luggage upstairs. I was about to do the same with mine when Normani grabbed my hand to stop me.

"That was just impulsive, DJ. I'm really sorry. It won't happen again. Promise."

My heart dropped with a pang, but I didn't let it show on my face and said, "Right, it was just habit. That's all."

"I'm glad you agree. You're over it, right?" Normani asked.

"Yup, you were right about it going away," I lied.

"That's awesome, DJ!" Normani said with her brilliant smile. And my heart fluttered like it always did when she smiled.

Normani helped bring my luggage to my room before disappearing upstairs to change for the night. Once Normani left, Camila jumped on me to give me a proper koala hug and said, "I missed you, Cheechee."

"Missed you too, Chancho," I said hugging her back tightly. With a long year ahead of me trying to get over my feelings for Normani, I was going to need a lot more of these koala hugs.

-----

While we were waiting for our food at Waffle House, Ally told us about her birthday trip to Mexico with Troy, and I told squad about my class, birthday, and family.

"So, Mani, how was the club scene this summer? Lots of hot guys?" Lauren asked as we dug into our orders.

"Yeah," Normani shrugged and met my gaze briefly as I sipped on a glass of water, "You know, the usual. Just older."

"I can't wait for you, me, and Ally to go to bars for happy hour this quarter!" Lauren said excitedly.

"I'm glad I have my wing woman back! Dinah wasn't old enough. But now both of us can help each other out when we hit the clubs!" Normani said.