Chapter 15: The Royal Storm

June 2017

Camila's POV

I was in the arrivals area of Valencia's airport waiting for Lauren's flight to land. My legs shook nervously as I sipped my coffee. I hadn't seen Lauren in weeks. After summer break began, Lauren went back to Miami for a week and then set off to backpack around Europe before our study abroad program started.

My family and I came to Spain a week before the program started to tour the country. Lauren was arriving in Spain a day before the program check-in date so my family invited her to join us in our suite for the night. Tomorrow, my family was heading back to Miami after settling both of us in the program dorms. Though Lauren assured us that she'd find our hotel by herself, my parents insisted that I go pick her up. So here I was, waiting in nervous excitement for my crush to arrive.

"Camz!" a voice yelled making me jump. I saw Lauren rushing toward me. I grinned broadly and met her half way. She crashed into my arms, making me stumble back a few paces, and hugged me tightly. "I've been traveling alone for so long that it's so nice to finally see a familiar face," Lauren said, taking a deep whiff.

I giggled, "Are you smelling me?"

"You always smell like home, Camz, and I've been so homesick. Just lemme smell you in peace," Lauren said against my shoulder.

My heart was pounding so hard that I wondered if she could feel it. I grinned broadly against her, glad that she couldn't see my face, and willed my blush to go away before she pulled back. But Lauren didn't let go for so long that I asked, "Didya fall asleep?"

Lauren snickered, finally pulled back, and said, "I've missed you, Camzzi."

When Lauren said these kinds of things, I couldn't help but think that she liked me too. "I've missed you too, Lolo," I said with a shy smile.

We hitched a cab back to the hotel and I helped Lauren take her luggage to our suite. I introduced her to my parents and sister and showed her the roll out couch bed where she'd be sleeping. A few hours later, my family, Lauren, and I headed out to dinner.

At dinner, Lauren talked about Cuban traditions with my mom, discussed sports with my dad, and patiently answered thousands of Sofi's questions. I'd always imagined a partner that would get along well with my family, so I felt myself falling harder for the green-eyed beauty. I had my eyes on Lauren the entire night. Later, I was getting ready for bed when I overheard Lauren and Sofi talking.

"You may not remember me, but I met you back when you were just a baby. You were doing a pee dance and I took you on a potty parade," Lauren said.

"Of course, I remember you, Lolo. You had tea with me and we played patty cake after," Sofi replied.

"How can you remember that? You were only four or five."

"Because I asked Kaki if we could play with you again the next day, but she said you moved away. You were the first friend I ever made on my own, and I cried for a week. Mom still tells me how I didn't want to talk to anyone till they took me to you. I don't think mom knows that you're the girl though."

"Aww, Sofi," Lauren said, lifting my sister to her lap. "How about I give you my number and you can call me anytime you feel like it? After all, first friends have to stick together, right? And we have years of stuff to catch up on. And maybe you can even teach me some new clapping games."

"I'd love that Lolo!" Sofi yelled excitedly and hugged Lauren. My heart swelled and I literally felt myself falling in love.

----

The next day my family dropped us off at the college and left for the airport. My breaths quickened as I felt some anxiety settle in at the thought of being all by myself in a foreign country. Soft fingers entwined with mine and my breathing gradually returned to normal.