Chapter 22: Goodbye

Normani's POV

Kendrick came to visit Choie again for the holidays. During my winter break, he asked me out and I said yes at once. Choie had obviously told him about my princess fantasy because for our first date, he actually hired a carriage with horses to take us around. We went to a fancy restaurant and indulged in the most expensive and delicious foods. At the end of the night, we took a long carriage ride under the moonlight and he gave me his jacket when he saw that I was cold. It was cheesy, but it was a night straight out of my dreams. I thanked Kendrick at the end of the night by giving him a long kiss for taking me on the most magical date that I'd been on.

After our first date, Kendrick and I talked every single day on the phone for hours and went on many more magical dates. On my last day in Huston, Kendrick asked me to be his girlfriend with a beautiful necklace and I accepted. I was sad leaving him, but he promised to visit me soon.

On the way to Boston, I thought about how everyone would react when I told them about Kendrick. I was most worried about Dinah because her and I hadn't had a conversation in more than a month. When I entered the apartment, however, Dinah greeted me with a casual, "What's up, loser."

I couldn't help but grin and played along, "At least I'm cute."

"You should let other people tell you that," Dinah retorted.

"Aww Mani, I think you're cute," Lauren said.

"That's cuz you're a loser too Lauren. I should just call you Lauser from now on," Dinah smirked and Lauren flipped her off.

"Where are Ally and Mila?" I asked.

"They went to pick up Chinese take-out," Lauren said.

Lauren and Dinah helped me carry my suitcases upstairs. By the time I was done unpacking, Ally and Camila had come back with food. All five of us sat on the dining table and chatted about our break while we ate. Lauren and Camila told us everything that'd happened with Lucy and how they helped her get back on track.

"The next day, we had Lucy send out emails to her college advisers explaining her situation. She texted us today morning, saying that people emailed her back and are going to try and help her finish her degree. Then we convinced her to tell her parents, which she did and they were super supportive. They even tried getting in touch with Vero's parents. But they haven't had any luck with that so far. But they got Lucy in touch with a therapist and she's been going to therapy. And then to reignite her passion for law, we took Lucy to the immigration rights protest that was happening in Miami. She got pretty riled up there, so we think she got some of her passion back," Lauren said.

"Hold up, by we, do you mean you took Walz to a protest?" Dinah asked.

"Yeah, they're so empowering, China! I felt like I was a part of something big!" Camila said.

"Camz even wants to go to more protests with me. Don't you, baby?" Lauren said proudly.

"Yup! And next time we're gonna make clever signs!" Camila said excitedly.

Dinah snickered, "Good job, Lauser. You turned my innocent little confrontation-hating koala into a raging activist."

"Active and proud, Cheechee. Seriously, you guys should all come with us. We need more people to stand up for basic human rights. There are so many different types of people that have different stories, but they all come together for a common purpose and it's really inspiring," Camila said.

"Wow, Lauren's rubbing off on you," I said, "but I'm down to go with you guys."

"Me too!" said Ally.