Chapter 7 - Pack Father Toes

Toes was sitting next to the medical bed that Singer was in while he waited for her to wake up. While he was waiting, he had continued the reading he had been doing. Dancer had also compiled a list of suggested reading as well. It covered a wide variety of books and articles that related to being a Pack Father as well as some historical books from long ago when there were Liraque Pack Fathers. Now that series of books had really shocked him since he, as with much of the population, hadn't known there ever had been such a Pack Father.

When Singer started waking up Toes sat up in the chair he had been relaxing in. He wasn't sitting too close to her but it was close enough to lightly hold her hand, "Hello Singer, you fell asleep in the Temple Mother's office. You have been asleep for several hours." He didn't want to say too much but he did want to talk to her.

Singer sat up with a gasp when he spoke and her eyes widened and showed a hint of fear, "What are you doing in here? It isn't time for that yet."

Toes gave her a comfortable smile as he looked at her, "It isn't time for your heat which is why I am here. Most young females who are going into their first heat are introduced to the Harem before it starts. This gives the more senior males in the Harem time to watch how she interacts with the males. The reason we watch is to find out who she is most comfortable with and who she avoids. As we watch those interactions we start gently urging her towards the males that seem to draw her." He stopped talking to see what she had to say.

Singer was still sitting up holding the sheet to her chest as she stared at him. She tried to understand what he was saying but her mind and emotions were still so screwed up. Tears started trickling down her face, "But I don't want this. I don't want to..." Damn it all she had ever wanted was to not be noticed by anyone in power. To make her way and not be hassled too much.

Toes was still holding her hand and he could feel her emotions due to his new abilities. He tilted his head down as he listened. When she stumbled to a stop he kept a hold on her hand just so he could keep sensing her feelings, "Sings Sweetly I am going to move over and sit down on the edge of the bed. I am not going to try anything or do anything other than to try and comfort you. Will you please let me?" When she didn't say anything he slowly moved over and settled down next to her on the bed.

He had a robe in his hand and when he moved over he held it out to her, "I know that you have issues with nudity so I made sure to have this for you." He smiled as he held it open for her.

Singer tensed when he moved over since she was having trouble believing what he said. No, he hadn't made any moves before but the Temple Mother had been there. When he offered her the robe she finally looked up at him and his eyes were indicating he meant what he was saying. As she was looking at him the tears were still trickling down, "Why?" She was still holding the sheet and hadn't moved towards the robe as of yet.

He tilted his head as he contemplated her and lifted her hand that was in his to his cheek. He pressed it against his cheek and lifted his other hand to her cheek, "Why? I am not sure exactly what you are asking. My first thought is why does anyone care and why is everyone in the temple and the two packs taking care of you. That question is hard to answer because there are so many easy answers. The simplest answer is because they, Misty and Hands, are good people." He was stroking her cheek very gently as he was talking.

The robe was settled across her lap as she was trying to understand what he was saying. It was still outside anything she had experienced. The biggest question was what should she do? How did she really know what they wanted? Did anyone know what anyone else wanted from you? The hand against her cheek was so warm and his fingers weren't demanding or asking for anything. How she could feel that she wasn't sure. It was for pure comfort for her, not anything else but totally and completely for her, "I don't understand Pack Father, I don't understand. Please, I don't know what to do." Much like Nuzzle had begged her pack leader for help she was asking Toes.