date

Maine quietly fiddled with her phone while Rj rested his head on her lap, fiddling with his phone too.  They've gone on several dates since they got together and this would be their first valentine's date as a couple.  However, Rj had not mentioned anything about valentine's.  Maine was not one to pry so she just kept quiet.

Suddenly, Rj pulled out something from his pocket and handed the folded paper to Maine.

"What's this?"

"Open it..." he smiled as he returned his attention to his phone.

" he smiled as he returned his attention to his phone

"....wait....aren't these the lyrics to the song...."

Rj hit the play button on his phone and the melodic strains of "Yueliang Daibao Wo De Xin" began.  He sang along, fumbling on some of the words.  This brought giggles and smiles to both.  He sat up and held Maine's face in his hands. When the song ended, Rj tenderly kissed Maine on the lips.

"Happy Valentine's , Sungs! I love you!  You know that my love for you will be there...forever...like the lyrics of the song..."

Maine's eyes grew big but she was smiling. "....ang queso....but I love it! I love you, Yabs! Happy Valentine's!"

"Eh totoo naman....the moment I laid my eyes on you, I knew na...."

"Hmm....eh ang sungit sungit mo pa nun....galit ka ata sa akin nun e...." Maine said as Rj lay back down on her lap.

"Hindi naman galit....inis lang...."

Maine slapped his arm.

"Aray!" Rj feigned pain.  "Ako lang ang pwedeng mag-hari dito sa house no?!"

"Brat!" Maine hit him again.

"Hindi na nga e....."

"O....kay....."

"Uhmm....love.....?...."

"Yes?"

"What do you want to do today?"

"Hmm...." Maine thought for a few seconds. "....alam ko na!...."

"What?"

"Can you drive? Let's go have merienda...."

Rj got up and looked at Maine. "Ok! Let's go!"

"Rj! Walk properly!....o....masikip na brief na naman yang sinuot mo e...."

Rj looked back at Maine and frowned.

"Haay....baby ko o...kailangan laging i-remind na maglakad ng tama...."

"Where are we going?"

"Near my house lang..."

"Okay."

When they got to her street, Rj parked the car and  they walked a short distance past her house to a where there were foodcarts on the side of the road.  They were walking hand in hand so Maine felt Rj's hesitation as they approached the stalls.

"What's that?" Rj whispered to Maine at the food displayed. 

Maine pointed out and explained the different skewered food. "Di ka pa ba nakakakita ng mga 'to?....like nung college ka?"

"I've seen them....usually may maraming tao....but I've never tried the food...."

"Ahh..." Maine said, smiling at the thought that her boyfriend was a "street food virgin". "Sige, let's try the familiar ones first....here, fishballs and squidballs....do you want it spicy or sweet?"

"Hmmm...spicy-sweet? Like you?"

"Aysus! Nambola pa....here....try this"

"Mmm.....sarap! Like you!"

Maine pushed him teasingly. Rj just chuckled.

"What do we try next?"

She let him try most everything that was "unusual" to him – kikiam, tokneneng, kwek kwek. Rj pointed to the food and Maine patiently explained what they were.  He was quite amused by their names.

"Haaay....ka-manul sang boyfriend ko...." (Haaay....ang inosente naman ng boyfriend ko...") Maine said, amused,  under her breath.

"What did you say?"

"Wala...ang cute mo..." Maine smiled at Rj. "Are you ready to try something else?" Maine held up a stick of isaw.

"What's THAT?!" Rj looked shocked.

"Isaw....my favorite..."

"Isaw?"

"Oo....uhmm, intestines..."

"Uhh..."

"Barbecue na lang sa yo...."

"May I taste?" Rj took a bite from Maine's isaw.  He chewed slowly, his face showed that he was unsure.

"So?"

"Uhmm...." Rj forced himself to swallow the food in his mouth before taking a big gulp of soda.

"Well...?"

"Hmm...interesting sya....one more?" He took Maine's hand which held the stick of isaw and took another bite.

"Kuya....isang isaw please...." He asked the vendor. Maine was slightly shocked.

After about 5 sticks of isaw, Maine stopped Rj. "Enough na!....mamaya magkasakit ka na nyan! Masama ang masyadong marami....here, eat barbecue nalang..."

"Ehh...."

"Tsk!" Maine clicked her tongue and glared at him.  Rj took the barbecue reluctantly.

They returned to Maine's house after their "date".  Maine was now laying on Rj's lap, Rj was stroking her scalp and hair.

"Sungs, did you like our date?"

"Date na yon?" Maine sat up and faced Rj.

"Uhmm...yes...."

"Of course! Any time spent with just you is a perfect date!" She raised her arms and hugged him.

"Cheesy!" He hugged her tightly and smiled so big his eyes became slits.  "Hahahaha! Because my heart would be like Swiss cheese without you...."

"Swiss cheese?" Maine loosened her hug and looked him.

"...full of holes!" Rj leaned in and kissed her on the lips.

"Cheesy na, corny pa!"

"...pero, love mo?"

"Love na love!"

"So....do you wanna spend the night at my cottage?"

"It's a gouda offer....but I'd rather stay and curdle with you tonight....."