visa

Months passed without any major incident. Rj was becoming more and more responsible and less of a brat. He was working on expanding his business and he proudly announced this to his family and to Maine one Friday evening. Maine regularly ate dinner with Rj's family, especially on Friday evenings when traffic became worse and Rj brought her home after work. From his house, they'd spend some time at a coffee or dessert shop, for their "alone" time.

"...Yabs...let's go home na? I think the traffic's better...."

"Okay...."

"I'll just use the restroom..." Maine stood up from her seat and left her bag for Rj to look over. He noticed papers sticking out from the bag. It had a logo that looked familiar so he tilted his head to "inspect" the paper without touching it.

"Application for Schengen Visa"

Rj wondered. Maine had mentioned travelling abroad but as far as he knew, she had no plans of leaving the country yet. He kept quiet about it.

The following week arrived and Maine reported more at the office than at the Faulkerson residence. She had done this before especially when Rj's parents went abroad. However this time, they were not abroad nor were they leaving for another trip.

On his way to his car from one of his meetings for his business to pick up Maine from his Dad's office, Chelly, an employee of Rj's company and a friend of Maine, passed by and greeted Rj.

"Hi Sir!"

"Hello! O Chelly, kamusta?"

"Okay naman po....kayo po?"

"Okay naman, salamat...."

"Ah Sir....okay po ba kayo ni Maine?"

"Okay naman....bakit?"

"Kasi....these past days parang tulala lagi....ang lalim ng iniisip...."

"Ah talaga? Sige salamat...." Rj said as he made his way inside the office building.

"Sungs....love...." Rj said as they rode quietly in the car on their way to Maine's house.

Maine was quiet. She had been like this for the past days and Rj thought that either it was just her "time of the month" or that she was very tired from work.

When they arrived at her house, Rj waited for her to open the door and say goodbye like she always did. This evening however, she didn't move.

"Love....Maine!" Rj repeated, a little louder this time.

She looked to her right and saw her house then tears suddenly fell down her cheeks. This shocked Rj who concernedly used his hands to wipe her tears. "What's wrong?"

"......Italy....." Maine said quietly.

"Did something happen to your Tatay in Italy?"

Maine shook her head 'no' then bowed her head and covered her face with her hands. Rj stroked her back and let her cry for while. "....I saw some papers in your bag the other day.....Schengen visa?"

Maine nodded but was still quietly sobbing. She inhaled and spoke softly, ".....Nanay and Mai.....they're leaving for Italy...."

"That's good....at least they'll get to travel....."

Maine forced a smile and nodded. "....Tatay's petition fell through.....they leave in a month...." she said slowly then sobbed again.

She had mentioned to Rj that her Tatay, who worked in Italy, petitioned for his family a long time ago. But because Maine was already working, he could not petition her anymore. Mai was just a highschool student and his company could sponsor her education.

"....I saw the Schengen visa application in your bag....I thought...."

"They're for Nanay and Mai...."

Rj nodded. He wanted to travel with Maine but he wasn't ready yet and they spoke about this before. "How about you?"

"I can't.....I'm of age already so I'm over-qualified to be petitioned....."

"No, I mean, why don't you go to Italy also....to visit...."

"I don't have enough money yet....the money Tatay sent are for Nanay and Mai...."

Rj nodded. "...so, what's going to happen?"

"...I have to look for an apartment to stay at na.....I saw some near the office....."

"How about this house?"

"This will be too big for me na...."

"Eh, what will happen when they come home to visit?"

"......" Maine just looked at Rj, soulfully.

He reached out to Maine and hugged her. She sobbed quietly for a few minutes then let go. "...I'll see you tomorrow...I have to be at your house early....Your dad has a meeting at 9:30....."

"....okay.....but Sungs, are you okay na?"

She nodded. "I'm fine...." she chuckled as she checked herself on the car sunvisor mirror. "....haay Maine! Ayan, mugto mata pa more...."

"Pretty pa rin...I love you...."

"I love you" She kissed him on the lips and got out of the car.