Giovanni

Maine noticed that there was someone who kept on following them around as they walked the streets of Como. At first, she tried to ignore it but soon, it seemed like the guy kept on appearing almost everywhere she went especially when she was away from Rj. The guy never approached her but would watch her from afar.

At one point, when she stood up from their table at a sidewalk cafe to use the restroom, she returned to find Rj looking annoyed at something. On the table, was a bouquet of flowers.

"Wow!" Maine gasped as she sat down. She was about to reach out for the bunch when Rj cleared his throat and looked at her with eyebrows furrowed.

"Para daw sa yo...." He said in a low voice, obviously annoyed.

"Huh? Kanino galing?"

"Giovanni daw.....ayun o....nakaupo sa kabilang table...." Rj said as he tilted his head slightly at the direction of the other table where a man sitting alone. The man was smiling at Maine.

Maine gave a weak smile and cautiously reached for the card that was on the bouquet.

"....Sei bellisimo" ("You are very beautiful") was all that was printed on the card. Maine returned the card to the bouquet and weakly and akwardly smiled at the person.

"Tara na nga!" Rj immediately stood up so Maine stood up too. She picked up the bouquet and gave a slight bow to the man as they walked away from the cafe.

"Rj naman...."

"Anong naman?"

"He was just being nice....friendly....."

"Friendly?....I saw him na kanina when we sat down at the cafe....he was watching you.....he kept on looking at you...."

"I don't think he means anything naman e.....the card is generic pa nga e...." She pulls out the card again and shows it to Rj who gives it a quick glance. He huffs and drops his shoulders.

"....don't be mad na.....wala na sya o....if you want, let's leave these flowers nalang sa church...."

".....sige na nga...." Rj said as he walked fast while Maine had to keep up by slightly skipping beside him.

They walked into a small chapel just off from the main street. Maine walked slowly inside the church, and left the flowers on the side where there were other floral offerings. She then knelt down on a pew to pray. Rj quietly followed her and knelt down beside her. They sat in silence for a while before Maine led them to the side again where candles were lit. She lit one and prayed. All the while, Rj just observed. He was in awe of Maine's humility and patience. He silently prayed, too.

Early the next morning, Maine was surprised to find Rj's room empty when she came out of her room at the villa they were staying at in Como. She hurriedly ran downstairs and saw Rj's parents in the dining room.

"Good morning!" She said cheerfully.

"Good morning, iha! Did you sleep well?" Tita Chat was already at the breakfast table with Tito Ricky.

"Kumain ka na....we have a long day today...." Tito Ricky spoke and invited Maine to have breakfast.

"Good morning po....si Rj?" Maine said as she greeted Rj's parents, taking their hand and touching it on her forehead.

"....nasa labas....nag-jogging ata....tawagin mo na nga so we can have breakfast..."

"Yes po...."

"Rj....." Maine called out.

Rj soon arrived. He had gone jogging and was now sweaty and panting.

"Where have you been?"

"....just around the compound....exercising lang....."

"Ah....change your shirt na muna then have breakfast....your Mom is looking for you...."

"Ah sige....sige....wait lang....." He gave Maine a quick kiss on the lips and ran upstairs to change.

Rj joined them for breakfast but he was not as bubbly as he had been in the past days. Maine took notice of this but just kept quiet. After breakfast, they went back to their bedrooms to prepare for the day; They were going to Rome.

As Rj was finishing dressing up, Maine entered his room and started tidying up the bed.

"T....thanks...." Rj said as he helped her stretch the bedcover over the bed. (He was not one would do small chores but he was slowly learning, thanks to Maine).

"Yabs...??" Maine said quietly.

"Yes?"

"What's bothering you?"

"Huh? .....wala naman....why?"

"You've been quiet the whole morning.....are you feeling okay?" Maine reached for his neck.

"I'm okay....."

"Did you sleep well?"

"Oo naman....I'm ready for the day!" He smiled proudly at her. He led her out of the room and they walked to the front door to wait for his parents.

"....anything bothering you?" Maine asked after noticing Rj's eyebrows furrowed.

"......"

"Please tell me....." Maine tugged on Rj's hand a little.

"......Giovanni....." Rj said quietly after a very long pause. He looked at a flower that had been stepped on and a crumpled piece of paper nearby.

Maine looked at it and saw a single carnation and a crumpled piece of paper. She picked up the paper and opened it. It was empty.

"....nakasalubong ko sya kanina....inabot nya yang flower.....I went for a jog nalang....."

"......" Maine sighed deeply. "....thanks for keeping your cool, Love.....but I don't like that Giovanni or whatever his name is.....I only like you....I love you!" She looked at Rj straight in the eye, tears forming on hers.

He hugged her, "I love you!"

"I love you" she replied as she buried her face in his chest.