breakfast

The following Monday morning, Maine did not report for work. When Rj came down for breakfast and passed by the home-office on his way out of the house, he noticed that there were no lights or activity in the room. He thought that maybe Maine was just late or was asked to report to the office that day. His parents were out of the country anyway, so maybe Maine did not have any work to finish in their house.

Late in the afternoon of the 2nd day of Maine's absence, Rj felt that he was missing her. He didn't want to ask the household staff nor could he ask his friends because none of them knew anything about his budding interest in Maine. Well, except for their driver, Kuya Jose.

On the 3rd day of Maine's absence, Rj woke up very early and found Kuya Jose watering the plants in the garden. Upon seeing Rj, who nodded at him, Kuya Jose turned off the water hose and approached Rj.

"Good morning, Sir..."

"Rj nalang....Kuya...uhmm...nag-breakfast na po ba kayo?"

Kuya Jose found this unusual. Rj was known to be the spoiled brat and senyorito who always screamed at the househelp. They had lost so many helpers already because of his behavior. But Kuya Jose saw beyond this brat attitude the boy had. He knew that someday, Rj would change.

"Ahh...ehh...nag-kape pa lang....di pa nagluluto si Lani...." Kuya Jose said and scratched his head.

"....okay....tapusin mo na yan tapos alis tayo....breakfast...." Rj said and turned on his heel to go back into the house. A few minutes later, they left the Faulkerson residence.

"Saan tayo, S....Rj?"

"....uhmmm....sa tapa king tayo..."

"Okay...."

Since it was early in the morning, they were at the nearest tapa king in no time at all.

"Kuya....sabay ka na sa akin mag-breakfast...."

"Huh?"

"Tara na! Gutom na ako!"

Kuya Jose hesitantly joined Rj inside the restaurant. He let Rj order their food and sat down at one of the booths facing each other. They ate quietly.

"S...salamat sa breakfast...." Kuya Jose said when he was done.

"...may gusto ka pa? Order ka pa...."

"Okay na ako...busog na ako....salamat...."

"Sure ka ha?"

"O...oo....."

"Okay....pero kung may gusto ka pa, sabihin mo lang...."

"S....salamat...."

"....uhmm...Kuya....alam nyo po ba kung bakit absent si Maine?" Rj said in an almost hushed voice.

"Ano?"

"....si Maine, bakit sya absent?"

"...ahh....ang alam ko, nagpaalam sya sa Mommy mo kasi wala rin naman sila ng Daddy mo dito ngayon....may sakit ata...."

"Sakit?"

"Yun ang narinig ko kay Caring...."

"Kay Yaya?"

"Oo....nagkwento sya kahapon na tumawag ata si Maine para sabihin na di muna sya papasok ng ilang araw..."

"Ahh....eh Kuya...."

"Hmmm?"

"....diba sabi mo alam mo kung saan nakatira si Maine....pwede natin puntahan?"

"Sigurado ka?"

"Bakit?"

"...ibang-iba ang lugar ni Maine sa village...."

Rj kept silent as Kuya Jose described Maine's residence. She was a simple girl who was different from the people in Rj's circle.

"Okay lang..." Rj said. Then, "....nag-w-worry kasi ako...." he blurted but almost in a whisper.

Despite the low voice, Kuya Jose heard and understood. "Okay....kung ready ka na, halika na...." Kuya Jose stood up. Rj followed.