Aki and Maya

Rj went straight to the kitchen when he arrived from therapy. Yaya Caring told him that Maine was in the office. She didn't notice him enter the room so he sat by the side of the table and propped his chin on the stack of papers on the side, smiling at her. She was busy watching something on her phone and would occasionally move the office chair from side to side. Soon, she noticed Rj and smiled at him, removing her earbuds.

"Hello there...." he said, smiling. She smiled back. Months before, when they first met, he rarely smiled. In fact, Maine could not remember if he ever did. He was usually shouting or frowning when they'd see each other at his house.

Rj stood up and gave Maine a kiss on the lips. Then hugged her.

"Hi!" She said, and hugged him. Tight. "Ay....pawis"

"Sorry....I just came from therapy...."

"Eewww...." she joked and released her hug of his neck. He just chuckled.

"...what are you watching?....tara....I want to take a shower before lunch....." He took her hand and they went to his bedroom.

"...Mano Po....I like the song....."

"Ah talaga? Let me listen later...." He said as he let go of her hand and opened the door to the room.

"What are we doing later?"

"Wala naman...."

"Good. I want to go to church...."

Maine who was looking around Rj's room (it was her first time to enter it), stopped and looked at Rj who was now walking towards the bathroom.

"...it's Maya's birthday...." Rj replied as he entered the bathroom.

Maine sat down on the chair by the desk. "Okay...." she said quietly.

"....it's her birthday today.....she would have been 23 na.....that's our picture there on the shelf...." Rj kept on talking above the sound of the water from the shower.

Maine turned and saw an old framed photo of 2 kids in a tight hug. They were about 5 and 3 years old in the picture.

"....what happened?"

"...what's that, Sungs?" Rj answered but could not hear properly.

"Uhmm....Rj....may I borrow a charger?" Maine stood up and walked to the door of the bathroom.

"Sure! It's in the drawer beside my bed."

Maine took the charger and plugged her phone to the outlet beside the desk and sat on the chair again. She didn't notice Rj come out of the shower.

"Sungs...." Rj kissed her on the cheek. Maine turned and smiled.

Rj just had a towel around his waist, his hair still messy from being towel-dried. He walked to the closet and pulled out some clothes. He put on the shirt then removed the towel to put on his shorts. Maine saw scars on his legs. Rj went back in the bathroom and came out with his hair now fixed.

Rj took the frame from the shelf and showed it to Maine. "This is Maya...my baby sister...but she died when she was only 8.....asthma....." Rj's voice was low.

"Hmm....." Maine nodded.

"It's her birthday today. We always celebrate her birthday with spaghetti and hotdogs! That was our favorite as kids!" Rj beamed then took Maine's hand as they walked down to the dining room.

On the table were food for a small kiddie party. There was even a small cake on the side.

"Happy birthday Mai!" Rj said before they started eating. "Ate Maine will join us na...."