Chapter 15- An Unexpected Knock

Chapter Fifteen- An Unexpected Knock

I pulled the pillow that was covering my head down harder trying desperately to block out the sound of Aiden's wailing. For the past hour, he'd been laying in the middle of the living room floor 'singing' (if you could classify this as singing) what ever song appeared on his IPhone music shuffle. So far I had been tortured with 'Barbie Girl'; 'Happily'; 'Classic' and what seemed like a thousand others.

Normally, I wouldn't mind listening to those songs once or twice on repeat but when Aiden puts on a falsetto voice and screams at the top of his lungs, it tends to be kind of annoying. It also ruins the songs.

"AIDEN! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD AND HOLY! SHUT. UP!" Noelle screamed as she walked into the room. Her hair was thrown up in a messy bun and her eyes looked murderous.

Of course, Aiden with his music blaring so loud that he couldn't hear anything apart from his own blaring voice scream the lyrics to 'Timber' by Pitbull featuring Kesha. Noelle started to march over to Aiden when there was a timid knock at the front door.

I sat up immediately on guard. We weren't expecting anyone today and since that meeting with Valentino I was a little jumpy. And by jumpy I mean accidentally punching Aiden in the face when he walked around the corner as I stepped out of the bathroom. . .

Noelle took off one of her shoes and threw it really hard onto Aiden's stomach causing him to automatically stop singing to gasp for air. Why didn't I think of that?

Aiden yanked his headphones out glaring at me as he sat up to talk to his mom who had already left the room to answer the door.

"Dude. Shut up," I mumbled to him as I got off the couch, following Noelle into the foyer.

As I was walking out the living room door I heard Aiden mumble under his breathe 'bite me' which almost made me throw up, if we're all being perfectly honest here. . .

"Hi! I was wondering if Kaelie lives here?" Just before I rounded the corner I heard a familiar voice ask for me.

"Sure thing, Sweetie. KAELIE!" Noelle's voice echoed throughout the house but I was too frozen in place to react. She really did find me.

I took a slow step around the corner to see Noelle closing the door behind a blonde head I knew so well.

"Mac?" Cautiously I took a step forward still in shock.

"Hey, Kale," Mackenzie turned around smiling at me and letting out a sigh of relief.

She had grown up so much since I last saw her. She was done phasing and I was proud to say she chosen the path dedicated to helping those in need. Long gone was the red ribbon that used to be a part of her mandatory wardrobe. Her wavy hair had grown longer and was now loose framing her oval face.

On her feet were white converse with the laces tucked in the sides of her shoes. Her jeans were rolled up showing her ankles and she wore a flowing white tank top with a denim jacket covering her shoulders.

"I've missed you so much!" Mac's voice cracked as she dropped her bag and ran over to me.

When she buried her face in my shoulder I could already feel her tears seep through my shirt. I held her tight, afraid that if I were to let go she'd disappear and it would be years until our next encounter. I didn't realize it but as we were hugging we had ended up kneeling on the floor clinging to each other,

"Hey, Ma, what's- um. . . Who's that?" I heard Aiden quietly ask his mom.

"Mac," Noelle replied sounding heartbroken.