6 ; hiding the truth

[dan]

the day passed quickly, when dan arrived home the house was empty.

the only sound to be heard was dan's breathing,

dan was about to enter his room until he heard soft cries from tylers room.

dan walked over and knocked lightly on the wooden door.

"tyler?" he asked softly. the cries stopped and tylers door opens a little.

"dan?" tylers eyes were bloodshot-red and his voice cracked slightly.

"tyler what happened?" dan pushed, looking worriedly at his younger sibling.

"i-i'll tell you later, just please leave me alone right now." tylers breath hitched and dan nodded, giving his brother some space.

tyler shut the door softly and dan entered his room, he looked at all the posters on his wall running his fingers over some.

dan walked over to his other wall which was covering in polaroid's or laminated photos of fun times with friends.

his eyes scanned the photos, a lot of them had phil in the pictures and anger took over dan.

he started ripping the photos of phil and him off the wall.

he threw them in the bin next to his bed. he ripped one off but focused on the polaroid.

dan's hair was curly, tucked into a grey beanie. phils arm was lazily wrapped around dans shoulder and phil held a half empty beer bottle.

they were smiling widely in the photo, and dan remembered that this was the first official teenage party they both went to when they were fourteen.

dan still couldn't remember what happened that night because he was wasted basically.

he was told that it was chaotic and was lucky not to remember it.

dan went to go throw it into the bin but didn't notice it miss and land under his bed.

after all the photos were cleared, he replaced the empty spaces with other polaroids and smiled when it was finished.

dan got startled when someone knocks on his door but stelled when he realized it was his dad.

"hey dad." dan smiled as he sat on his bed.

ryan- dans dad sat next to him.

"son?" he asked. dan replied with a hum looking up at his dad.

"you'll always love me, right?" ryan asked.

dans eyebrows furrowed together.

"yes?" dans answer came out mostly as a question but ryan ignored it and smiled.

"well your mum is working late and i ordered pizza." ryan smiled getting up.

"love you son." he smiled, "love you too." dan replied before ryan exited dans room.

did he do something? did his dad do drugs or some crazy shit? dan thought but shook it off and turned on his radio.

he turned on the volume to blast and lied down on his bed letting his mind focus on the music.

blocking out all the thoughts and sounds.

trying to find good in life.

refusing to break.

because if he broke,

so would his family.

-