Chapter 18-Christmas Eve

When there is great love there are always great miracles...

Jared slowly let Anka on the sofa as he stood up and started looking after the children. He felt her confused gaze following him around as he took the children to their bedrooms and tugged them in.

When he returned he found Anka still sitting on the sofa, staring at the fireplace. She was still crying, not really believing if this was true or if it was just a figment of her imagination and pain that had taken over her.

He stood next to her and she clung tight to him.

"Are you actually here? Is this actually true?", she asked, leaning her head onto his chest again.

"Yes, I'm here. I was always here...more or less..."

"But how? How? Is it even possible? What did you do?", asked Anka as Jared wiped her tears.

"Apparently it is possible.", giggled Jared softly.

He started explaining everything to Anka, from how this idea started, how he researched everything, how he found out about Emma's pregnancy and how scared he was to lose Anka.

"But...you could've told me about it...you could've said something...you could've explained what you wanted to do..."

"You would've tried to talk me out of it. That is if you wouldn't have divorced me...I was scared to lose you. I would've rather you found out about it after I was presumably dead. I know you're not quick tempered, but I also knew that if I would've told you about it....well...there would've been no us."

"Jay...I would've been angry, yes...but you forget that we have a lot of responsibilities together. Where did you stay? What did you do? It's been months...what were you up to?"

"I was in Dublin...in your apartment...the only time I was scared that you would come there and find me was when you toured in Dublin. You played Croke Park. Congratulations it was something I would've never done on my own. But you did it."

"And what did you do in Dublin?", asked Anka.

"I helped Andrea with the horses. Yeah, the money wasn't too much, but I managed. Lived on food stamps for a while. And coupons...And the fact that I stayed in your apartment helped. I didn't pay rent...and the bills, well from what I learned they were taken care of by your assistant."

"I actually do remember Jennie asking me why do the bills in my apartment in Ireland are so big since no one is living in it...I also think this was the dumbest idea you ever had! Why would you do this to everyone?!"

"Because I didn't want to be in the spotlight anymore. I was sick of everything. I wanted to be with you, the kids, take them to school and kindergarten without being photographed, attend crazy PTA meetings, do all that crazy stuff without everyone spying and prying on every detail of our lives.", he said gently.

"And...do...you remember everything? Everything that happened between us?"

"Not completely...I still have some things that I don't really remember...but...I remembered how much I loved you and that must count for something...right? Now can I have my wedding ring back? I've missed it...", he asked looking at the ring that was hanging round Anka's necklace.

Anka looked into his eyes and sighed. She had to tell him. She had to tell him about her and Shannon. About what happened. On several occasions. It was now or never...Jared sensed her insecurity as she took off the ring from the necklace and held the ring in her hand.

"Jay...before I give you this...I have to tell you something...I know technically we aren't married anymore...but...I have to tell you this....and I don't know if after you hear this you will ever want to look me in the eyes..."