Part 17

Driving your new Escalade makes you feel like you're in a dream, even though you have to have the seat as far back as it goes so your baby belly doesn't get in the way. You never would've bought one for yourself, and Josh knows that. If you and Josh hadn't stared dating, you'd probably still be taking the bus everywhere or Ed would've gave you money to buy a car, and you would've picked a safe, cheep one. But Josh went all out. "You know you didn't have to get me a fricken Escalade for my birthday, you know that right?" you say to Josh. "Seeing the smile on your face when you realized it was yours was worth it." Josh says, "Plus, when little Mackinley comes along and I'm gone or we want a vehicle that’s not a motorcycle or a jeep with no top, this is a safe bet. Especially with the tinted windows so they can't take pictures of him." Dang he thinks of everything. Josh tells you to take a few more turns, and he then tells you to park on the side of the road. You get out of your new car and walk into what you realize is Josh's tattoo parlor with him. "I know it's your birthday, but I want to get a tattoo and I was hoping you would uh.. well.. I want us to get matching tattoos." Josh says. "Josh I don't know.. I've never got a tattoo.. and I.. Can you even get a tattoo when you're pregnant?" You ask. "I already checked it out, the tattoo I want us to get is an infinity sign, with my name written on the one loop, and yours on the other, I want us to get the on our right wrist's since I already have the libra sign on my left, and the doctor said you could get it on your wrist as long as they aren't swollen.. and only your feet and ankles are swollen right?" Josh says. You take a deep breath and say "Alright bring it on." You and Josh walk into the parlor and you ask Josh to go first. He shows you the design and you love it. It’s a simple infinity sign, and on the top-left part of the infinity loop it says 'Josh' in a fancy cursive and on the bottom-right part of the loop it says 'Emma' in the same writing, with a small heart connecting the center of the loop. Josh sits patiently as the artist copies the design onto his wrist exactly opposite of his 'Libra' tattoo. Josh doesn't even flinch at the pain of needles poking through his arm. When Josh is done, you look at it and then the tattoo artist covers it and tells Josh to leave it covered for 3 hours. You sit down next in the chair. Fear floods through your veins as you lay your arm on the table just as Josh had done. You take a deep breath and tell the man you're ready. "Try and stay calm. The more calm you are the less it will hurt." he tells you. You grab Josh's hand so tightly you probably are cutting the circulation off.  As the first prick of pain enters your body through your wrist, you squeeze Josh's hand even tighter. You have your eyes squeezed shut and are focusing all your attention on staying still so that you don't make the tattoo artist mess up. Before you know it, you're done. It was painful but when you see the ink in your arm, and know that Josh has the same tattoo in the same place it's worth it. To know that Josh loves you so much he put your name in his skin forever, it's the best birthday present you could've asked for. Even better than the brand new car of your dreams. You and Josh walk back out to the Escalade and he tells you to drive home, so you follow his instruction wondering what josh has planned next.  

-----

As you return to the house, you finally have a third vehicle to park in the 3-stall garage that usually only contains the jeep and the motorcycle. You and Josh walk into the house and he tells you to sit on the couch. You know better than to ask why, so you just do what he says and wait for him to return from where  ever he ran off to. Mackinley starts kicking, so you put your hands on your belly and feel him kick. No matter how many times he does it, you always love the feeling. It's one of the few things you'll miss about being pregnant. Josh returns a few moments later with a neatly wrapped box with a bow on the top. "Josh. You got me a freaking Escalade and you STILL got me another present." You say glaring at him. "What can I say? I like going all out when it comes to celebrating." Josh says, "Life is much to short to do anything but be happy. And I'm gonna do my best to make you happy, especially on important days." "Sometimes you're a little bit too amazing Joshua Ryan." you say taking the box from his hands. You carefully take off the bow and then tear the paper away. Inside the box there's a collage picture frame. It has about 30 pictures of all shapes and sizes, all of you and Josh over the past year. There's pictures from the hospital after you broke your ankle on the first date, at the trampoline park, on the London Eye, the beach, parties, random selfies together. If there was 30 of your favorite pictures with him, those were it. But you weren't surprised to see that was the only thing in the box. Next you take out yet another maternity dress, but it's actually cute. It is sort of tight on the top, with a solid coral color and then it cuts down into a very flowey flowered patter with coral, gold, pink, and light green colors. "I figured you could wear that tonight." Josh says with a smile. "You gonna tell me what I'm wearing it for?" you ask already knowing the answer. "Not a chance." Josh answers. You finally grab the last thing in the box, a collection of classic Frank Sinatra records. It has the first edition of every album he's ever recorded. Frank Sinatra is an old singer, who hand's down is your favorite artist of all time. You grew up listening to him with your grandpa, who you were extremely close with before he passed away. You know how expensive and extremely hard to find all of those would be, especially because they're all the classic versions, not later editions. You get tears in your eyes thinking of the hours you'd spend listening to Frank Sinatra with your grandpa and you long for his hug and easy going smile and the hours Josh must've taken to find all of the albums. "Josh.." you say quietly. He gives you a hug and kisses your cheek. "I have a record player coming, but it wont be here for a few days." Josh tells you. "Josh you.. you didn't have to do that. Really." you say unsure of how you could ever thank him. "Emma the look on your face right now tells me I do. I know when you're happy Em. You deserve to be happy everyday. But you deserve to be extra happy on your birthday." He says. "Thank you" you say to him, falling into his arms for another hug. You and Josh both shower and get ready. You wear the dress Josh gave you, with a gold cross necklace and a matching bracelet on your left hand, showing off your freshly uncovered tattoo on your right. You actually spend the time curling your hair, even though it's hard with your big baby belly. Josh is dressed in dark wash jeans, a light blue button up long sleeve polo, a white tie, and a light grey cardigan sweater over it buttoned up about 3/4 of the way. Josh drives you in the Escalade to what you think is a restaurant for your birthday supper. When you walk into the building he parks outside of, you hear the word "Surprise!" shouted from many familiar voices and get the biggest smile on your face seeing the last part of Josh's birthday plan.