The Bellwood Breed-39

Ryder's POV

"Tell us what you know!" I yelled. The others stood around me as I interrogated three Darklighters we had captured. They had been the ones controlling the demons. I figured there had to be others somewhere around the mansion, but we hadn't got word from Avery or Riley yet. We were going to turn these guys into the elders.

"We don't have to tell you anything. You may be prince, but you aren't are prince." The one female said. Her lips were twisted into a smug smile.

"You will answer to me! Or so help me I will-"

"Ryder." Aspen rested a reassuring hand on my back, causing me to pause.

I took a deep breath and gritted my teeth. "I'm only going to ask you one more time, after that-" I paused, something in me not feeling right at all. Out of nowhere, I got this strong sense of danger lurking within me. Shortly after, pain followed. I gasped, falling straight to my knees and clutching at my stomach as my lungs struggled to receive air.

"Ryder!" They all shouted at once.

Aspen knelt down in front of me. "Ryder what is it? What's wrong?!" Her eyes were frantic as she tried to help me to my feet.

I screamed out in pain. Something definitely wasn't right here. And then I knew what it was...it was Riley. Somehow, I knew something was wrong with her, terribly wrong. I didn't want to believe that my heart was actually tied to hers, that just wasn't possible, but there was no other explanation to this.

I cried out again, doubling over as I withered in pain, my heart was breaking, I physically could not see straight from the agony it was causing. "Riley!" I cried.

"Ryder! Talk to us! What's happening?!" Winter ordered. She squeezed my hands, trying to soothe me in the inside, there was no use. I had never in my life felt something so strong, not even Winter could control this feeling.

My cries turned into actually sobs as I clutched at my chest. I couldn't breath, I felt like I was practically dying. "Riley, she's..." I choked, trying to push passed the agony. What I had felt before when she was hurt was nothing compared to this. "I think...she's dying."

******

They had to help me walk, Blythe and Winter supported nearly all of my weight while the others stayed with the Darklighters we'd caught.

I could barely stand, but in some innate way, I knew where Riley was, and I knew I had to get to her. I could feel our connection growing stronger. Just when I felt like we were nearly there, I took in a large gasp of air.

"What?" Blythe and Winter both gave me worried looks.

"No..." I whispered. "No...no...no." I started mumbling as I fell to the floor, pulling my knees up to my chest as tears sprung to my eyes. "Riley..." I cried.

"Ryder..." Winter started slowly, the mist in her eyes told me she somehow already knew what I was feeling. "Ryder..." She demanded me to look at her. I swallowed hard and looked at her sadly, the torture in my eyes evident. I don't know how I knew...I just did, so I nodded. "Oh god." Winter covered her mouth and began to cry.

"What's going on?" Blythe was tense. "Ryder?" He looked at me helplessly. I couldn't say anything, I could only cry, the words wouldn't form at all.

I knew we were already too late, I felt it in the pit of me. I needed a moment to pull myself together or I was going to completely and entirely break down. After I still said nothing, he looked to Winter, who hung her head.

He finally caught on. "Wait...no, no..." He trailed off. "Riley...she can't...she can't be..." The tears came easily. "What are we doing?! We can't just stand here! We have to find her! What about Avery?! What if he's hurt too!"