It Takes An Angel

Vivienne had been midway through baking some cookies when I turned up at her door. I hadn't expected her to be so...pretty... She had short choppy blonde hair and large round blue eye and wore a pretty floral apron dress over a white long sleeved top. I sat on one of the bar stools in her kitchen as she continued bake.

"So, Nora, what can I do for you?" She questioned.

"I just wanted to know some more about Morgan, I guess."

"Then why don't you ask the man himself?"

I twiddled my thumbs, not really sure what to say.

"He's not exactly available..." I mumbled.

"Oh Dear, what trouble has he gotten himself into?"

"A psychiatric ward..."

Vivienne stopped mixing and stared blankly back at me. My heart froze. And then, she half smiled and breathed a laugh, rolling her eyes.

"Classic Morgan..." She mused, before returning to her baking.

"I just need to know something," I said.

"Hmm?"

"Is he telling me the truth?"

"I don't know," she giggled, "What's he telling you?"

"That he's the Devil..." I told her, not missing a beat.

I expected her to look at me like I was crazy. To furrow her pretty brows and cock her head or at least back away a little. But, no, she just shrugged her shoulders and laughed her sing-song laugh again.

"You think I'm crazy..." I sighed.

"No. Of course not. That son of a gun dove straight into the depths of Hell just to pull my soul out. Who sounds crazy now?"

"That's true?"

"Of course. Morgan never lies to the people he's close to."

"Fuck. I have to get him out of there. Vivienne, thank you so much."

There was no time to process it. I just drove. Drove back to the hospital, where the previously straight-faced woman raised an eyebrow to see me there again. Though, without a word, she pushed the clipboard towards me to sign my name. I walked to his room, knowing myself where it was now and closed the door behind me. He was in the same position he'd been three hours ago, still reading the same bible. His eyes flicked up at me at the slamming of the door.

"Hello." I said.

"You're back." He acknowledged.

"I am. I just went to speak to Vivienne."

"How is she? And David?"

"She told me that you've been telling the truth. That you went into Hell and saved her life. That you don't lie to the people you're close to..."

"I've been lying to myself..." He breathed.

"No, Morgan, no you haven't. They've brainwashed you here. They're lying."

"They're helping me here."

"You're coming home."

"No. I need to be here. And understand the truth."

I clenched my jaw, growing frustrated. I racked my brain for a solution. A way to get him out of here and back home where he deserved to be. What did Viv say? Besides telling me he pulled her out of Hell, not much... Oh.

I took the Bible from his hands, closing it and placing it on the chest by the door.

"What are you doing?"

"You think you're just a man because you don't have to do anything out of the ordinary. Any regular man can stay indoors and read a book, Morgan. But, it takes an angel to save a weak human life."