Chapter 14

It's about midnight when I feel Peeta stirring. I look up and I automatically get lost in his beautiful blue eyes. Until he speaks up.

"Katniss," his voice is weak. He is still recovering from the blood loss I guess. 

"Yes, Peeta?" I ask him. I am trying to stay calm. He finally woke up!

"I can't feel the bottom of my leg," he says. I start to cry a little more before I can answer him. He looks at me worried. "What is it, Katniss? What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"Peeta, they had to amputate the bottom of your leg. They put on a prosthetic leg for you. They said that they are going to keep you here a few weeks so you can get used to walking with it. I'm so sorry Peeta," I say trying to stop the steady flow of tears escaping my eyes.

"Katniss, please stop crying. I'm fine, see?" He puts a huge grin on his face that makes me laugh. I stand up and hug him, kissing his cheek as I try to pull away, but his grip on me tightens. I lean my forhead on his. "I love you," he whispers.

"I love you, too," I say back to him, then he pulls me down for a kiss. When I pull away, he kisses my nose, then lets go of my waist, so I can stand up strait. I go to sit back in my chair, but Peeta's voice stops me.

"Hey, it's okay. You can lay down here," I see he has scooted over so there is room for my tiny frame. I'm a little hesitant. I don't want to hurt him. "I can't let you sleep in that chair. It looks hard and uncomfortable." I just nod and lay down next to him with my back to his chest. His arm immediately goes around me, as if on instinct. I suddenly drift off to sleep.

I wake up the next morning, and try to shimmy my way out of Peeta's grasp without waking him. I fail, because his grip around me tightens. Not enough to hurt me, but it can't move away from him now. I turn my head to see a smirk on his face, but his eyes still closed.

"Where are you going?" he asks. I just laugh at him.

"Let go!" I giggle at him.

"Not until you tell me where you're going," he still hasn't openned his eyes.

"I need to pee, now will you let go?" I ask him still laughing.

"Fine," he takes his arm from around me. I kiss his nose, and his eyes flutter open. I stand up and turn to go to the bathroom, but he catches my hand.

"I thought you said you were gonna let go?" I ask him. I really need to pee!

"I changed my mind," he says with the same smirk on his face.

"Peeta please! I have to pee!" I whine. He kisses my hand and lets it go. I take off to the bathroom, and when I'm done I wash my hands. When I get back, I sit down in the bed next to Peeta who has turned on the television. Food network. Of course! It's not turned up loud though. Peeta takes my hand and brings it to his lips and kisses it. 

"Are you ready to walk today?" I ask him. He nods, and a nurse walks in with a tray of breakfast for Peeta. "I'm gonna go downstairs and get something for breakfast from the cafe. Okay?"  Peeta nods and I quickly walk to the elevator and click the button for the first floor. Just as the doors open in front of me, my phone starts ringing. I look at the caller id. Finnick! I forgot to tell them what happened! I answer with a quick "Hey Finn."

"Kat! Peeta hasn't been answering his phone! Is everything okay?!" he asks in a panicked voice. Peeta is like the brother Finnick never had. How do I tell him this?

"Um, Finn? Yeah he's okay now, but-" I start but he cuts me off.

"What do you mean he's okay now?! What happened? Where is Peeta? Are you with him?" he sounds like he's about to cry. I tell him what all happened yesterday.

"And yes I'm here at the hospital with him," I say when I reach the end of the story. By this time, I'm almost back to Peeta's room with a plate of french toast in my hands.

"When can I see him? How's he doing? Forget that, I'm gonna just come now. I'll see you in about fifteen minutes. Bye Katniss," he says as I walk into Peeta's room.

"Bye," I say. Wow, he is really upset. He said my full name. Finn only calls me that when he is being serious.

"Who was that?" Peeta asks, gesturing to my phone with his hand. I go and sit next to him on his bed.

"That was Finn. He was concerned because you didn't pick up your phone at all yesterday. You probobly have quite a few missed calls from him," I say. I start eating and when I'm done I throw away Peeta's and my plates away. Peeta puts his arm around me and kisses my cheek, when suddenly Finnick bursts through the door.

"I got here as fast as I could!" he says. He must have been running, because his breathing is heavy and he's panting. "Peeta, are you alright? I spoke with Katniss on the phone. She said you got stabbed in the leg and you lost a lot of blood." Finnick looks upset, but he hasn't cried yet, from what I can tell.

"I'm fine, Finn. Now come over here and hug me like a good brother should," Peeta says with a big smile on his face. Finn gives him a hug, then leaves to call Annie. I lean my head on Peeta's shoulder and start to drift off to a dreamless sleep.