XXIII

There were so many emotions going through your head, your body, everything was a wreck. This man insults one of the only pieces that connected you to your father, but he also knew your father better than anyone else in the world. Possibly more than your mother knew. When a warm, large hand rested on the top of your head, you looked up to the taller who had a distant look on his face. He was showing it to you, Tidus unable to see.

"Red... can only look good on a [Surname]."

You couldn't hold it in anymore and let the warm tears roll down your cheeks, wrapping your arms around Jecht's midsection. Shoulders heaving as you sobbed loudly, you were mourning your father all over again. This time in the arms of someone who knew him, in the arms of your father's best friend, and unbeknownst to you ㅡ the last man to see him alive and the first to see him dead.

Tidus stood at the front door, uneasy and unsure of what was happening. He didn't know who Auron was too well and this was the first time that he had ever seen his father allow a woman show emotion this freely.

Guided by small pushes toward a seat, you tried to come back to normal breaths as the door swung back open. Zaon stood there along with Shuyin, looking up to see both men you couldn't help but feel your face become warm. This was embarrassing.

Zaon's eyes glared under the dim lights of the living area, fixated on Jecht. "Still making women cry?" His words were ice in the air and it surprised you. Looking up at Zoan's son whose face was twisted up in a fashion that wasn't expecting of him. "[Name], are you alright?" It was quick that it disappeared and concern replaced it,

What was even more surprising was the minute that Tidus stepped into his way when he decided to walk toward you. Using your hand to swipe away any streaks on your cheeks, you went to make the motion of standing up if it hadn't been for Jecht's hand.

"Shouldn't you be ready for travel," Looking up to Jecht, things weren't going quite as you were expecting it to go. "After all, we've heard that you're being considered eh, what's the word again kids?" Jecht was scratching the back of his head as if he was truly confused, which you could expect for it to be true.

"Grand" "Maester" Both Shuyin and Tidus chorused out at the same time. You looked up at Zaon with confliction in your eyes, Spira wasn't a favorite topic in schools but you did learn the basics of every government.

Shoving past Jecht's arm you only made it halfway before Tidus caught you. "Grand Maester?! Zaon! Y-y-you said I was home! Zanarkand!" Left and right there were more and more questions. Everyone was giving bullshit and no legitimate answers. "Your fucking leader is the reason my father is dead!"

Warmth disappeared from Zaon's face as it then settled on a calm look. Arms crossed and appeared stoic as ever, it was slowly but you noticed how he was inching toward the door. "You are home, Spira is the home of everyone half bloods or not." His eyes flickered between the three men in the room. On the other hand, you couldn't believe what was happening. Zaon seemed.. It didn't matter anymore though.

You couldn't trust anyone in this world it seemed.

"Just, leave." [Colour] eyes met silvery gray ones, the gears turned in his head in a way that you couldn't understand. His eyes narrowed slightly, there were meant to be left unsaid that you couldn't follow at all.

There was something brewing underneath the surface and you could feel it crawling up your back. It itched to the point that you were ready to scratch it until you bled. There was something about Zaon that you couldn't tell, this man may have lived and been born in Zanarkand but his place was in Bevelle.

The Lifestream may have done something to you, something that is meant to be protective but being around this man made it feel as if what The Lifestream attempted was for nought.