Trial one- kill or be killed

This might be a mini series or a standalone story, not sure yet but here it is.

Richard Williams an elderly, ex military general who is depressed, psychotic and nearing the end of his life decides to live out his darkest fantasies through the trials.

........

I wrung my Hands together, they were cold and shaking.

Today was the day. The day of the first trial.
Pursing my lips I clicked some keys on the laptop before me, ensuring everything was in order for today's events. It was almost time to begin.

The candidates I had chosen for this trial were a young couple, newlyweds. My job today was to test their love.
I had chained the man up to a pole, the woman I left free. They were trapped in an inescapable room.
I watched them squirm on the computer screen, the woman desperately pulling at the chains, to no avail. I giggled as I watched them try to break free.

It was no use, it was too late, the trials were about to begin.

I switched on the microphone, the red light below flickering to life as I clipped the voice changer to the pickup.
"Hello" I said, testing out the microphone.
The woman ceased pulling on the chains and frantically looked around for the source of the sound. The man yelled out, demanding to know who I was and why they were there.
"I am life, I. Am. Death" I growled, my knocked turning white as I balled my fists, "you are here to take the trial"
The woman's face turned pale as her knees bucked beneath her, the man desperately tried to reach out to her, straining against the chains.
I glared at them, why did they not speak back!? I inhaled, this was my first trial, I would be merciful, I would ignore their blatant disrespect, they would live, for now.

"The rules are simple, you do what I say, you go free, you don't..." The electronic voice filled the room with booming laughter, "you die",
The woman let out a strangled noise began sobbing into her hands.
"What do we have to do?" The man said as he stared at his distraught wife.
"That is the right question my friend" I said before doing a spin in my leather office chair. The darkness of the room flashed before my eyes before the dim lighting of the computer screen came into view, I slammed my hands down on the desk, stopping my spin and causing the couple in the secluded room jump in fear.

"The challenge is simple, stapled to the back of the pole is a knife, slide your hand between the wall and reach for it." I watched the woman tentatively stand and slide her hand in the dark, cramped space between the wall and the pole.
"That's it" I said as her hand returned grasping the sharp blade, "now miss, all you have to do is make a choice"
I paused for effect, letting the fear ripple and spread inside them,
"You can kill yourself and he goes free, or you can kill him and you go free. You have twenty minutes to decide, or you both die"

With those words I switched off the microphone, watching the little red light's life dwindle out as the power left it.
The couple in the room were frantically screaming questions into oblivion. I had said all I needed now it was up to her to make her choice.

Fifteen minutes

I rolled my eyes with displeasure, all these weak candidates could do was sob and beg for mercy, it disgusted me. The woman clung onto her loves side tears streaming out of her eyes. I was getting impatient, would she sacrifice herself to save the one she loved, or would she live with the guilt for the rest of her life? Time was ticking... I would soon find out.

Ten minutes

She really was making this difficult, all she did was cry. In that moment I regretted selecting these two, they were beginning to bore me.
They didn't even talk, all they did was cling to each other and cry.

Five minutes

Finally I was beginning to see some progress, the woman let go of the man and kissed his forehead before standing up and walking toward where she had discarded the knife on the floor, the man shifted uncomfortably in his shackles, understanding what was about to take place.
As the woman raised the knife I leaned in closer to the screen with anticipation. I smile spread across my face as she slowly moved closer to where the man was chained. The man was thrashing now, begging for her not to hurt him, yelling for me to let them go.

The woman lunged, knife aimed for his heart. Before the blade hit home the man swept his leg against hers, knocking her face first to the ground. My mouth gaped open as I saw a pool of red begin to spread from beneath her, I had not expected this outcome, I was pleased, I was amused.

The man screamed in emotional agony realizing what he had done.
I pushed a small silver button on the panel which sat on my desk. I watched the mans movements slowly become harsh and spasmodic as the gas set in. I shook my head, he truly believed I would set one of them free? The poor man, I was simply testing his morals.