Chapter XI

Chapter XI

It was a three day ride to Rohan, and with Guldurelon now in his true form, his strength and speed even better than before, I estimated that I would arrive at Edoras, the southernmost city of Rohan, at dawn on the fourth day.

The ride was uneventful - I would stop for water occasionally, but if it was my needs I needed to satisfy, I would do so while riding. For Guldurelon, he stopped when he needed to.

But I felt better than I had in days - I was reluctant to leave behind the safe forest of Lothlórien, of my home, but I was happy I was riding, and even more excited when I caught a glimpse of the Fellowship's boats gliding smoothly down the Anduin.

I arrived at Edoras just as the sun was rising on the fourth day. A literal shadow of a cloud was hanging over Meduseld, the palace, but the shadow went beyond a surface - it delved deep into the king's mind.

I had been told to leave the source alone for Gandalf to handle, which I sensed would be rather soon, but I could handle the voice of the shadow - one of Theoden-King's advisors. I had a vague idea of what I would do afterwards, but that wasn't too pressing. As long as Theoden, who was being poisoned by Saruman, didn't suspect me of sending his advisor away, I could stay in the King's court with his niece and nephew. I alone could not weaken the spell, but I could prevent it from strengthening while I waited for the Fellowship.

I introduced myself as a friend of Rohan to the guards, carefully phrasing my words so that they sounded commanding and vague, and the guards took my weapons to the room that was to be mine in the Hall. I kept my cloak's hood over my head and my silvery-blonde hair hid my pointed ears, but I kept my face open and passive.

I entered the King's Hall, and I immediately spotted the source of the evil - a greasy-haired, hunched figure beside the King with skin as white as snow. Theoden looked absolutely terrible - his hair was thin and wispy, his eyes cloudy and blank, his skin wrinkled and stretched abnormally. He was slumped in his chair, and barely acknowledged me when I entered.

"Theoden-King," I said quietly, kneeling just before his throne. "I bring news from the west." I spoke of the death of Gandalf, knowing that Saruman believed the old wizard to be dead - in all essences, I was technically speaking to Saruman - and I spoke little of the Fellowship, merely saying that they'd stopped in Lothlórien and had continued their journey down the Anduin a few days ago.

Grima Wormtongue - the voice of the evil, and disgusting excuse for a Rohirric man - was continually hissing into Theoden's ear. I made sure that my pointed ears were not shown, nervously adjusting my cloak a few times.

Theoden spoke in an old, feeble voice. "You may stay in Meduseld, and you will help the court with their duties, but you may only stay for ten days. At sunset on the eleventh, you must leave Edoras."

I nodded. I had had to manipulate Theoden's words slightly, knowing that Gandalf would come within the next two weeks, hopefully with the rest of the Fellowship, bbut it worked out. Hopefully, Gandalf would arrive on the tenth or eleventh day.

After a very much one-sided conversation with the King, Grima himself offered to take me to my chambers. I nodded, pretending to be grateful, as he led me down an empty hallway. There were a few tapestries lining the stone walls, and there were several doors along the left side, but it sounded like they were unoccupied - if they were being stayed in, their residents were outside in the city.

Now that I was alone with Grima, I had to get rid of him.

Grima handed me the keys, and said, "You will help the King's niece, Eowyn, with her duties around the palace during your stay."