Chapter XXIV

Chapter XXIV

I woke on the morning of the coronation at the crack of dawn, having gone to bed early last night. I sat up and smiled upon realizing what day it was, and slid out of bed silently, knowing that Faramir and Eowyn were most certainly asleep at this hour.

I pulled on my boots and red cloak over my thin black shirt and trousers, not wanting to change quite yet, and slid out of the room. I walked towards the very end of the hall, where the rail faced the east and I could watch the sunrise, and I was surprised to see a cloaked and hooded figure already standing there.

As I got closer, I recognized the cloak as a Ranger's cloak. "You should not be awake," Aragorn said as I took my place beside him.

"Neither should you," I shot back, but I could understand why he was up - he was anxious.

"I sought silence and peace while I could," Aragorn admitted.

I bowed my head. "I leave you, then," I said quietly as I turned to walk off, but as I passed him, he caught my wrist.

"Stay," he said softly. He turned his head towards me, so I looked up into his face and understood why he wanted my company : I'd been with him at the start of all things, and he wanted me to be with him at the end. He was allowed to be vulnerable with me, because I'd seen him at his weakest. I nodded, a gentle smile gracing my face, and turned back out towards the sun.

We stood peacefully, watching the sun rise on a new era of Men, at the end of the war and at the start of a time of hope. The spring sun rays basked over the city suddenly as the sun crossed the horizon, causing the white stones to shine with a soft golden light, illuminating it surreally.

Aragorn inhaled sharply at the sudden light as it washed over him, making it look like a fire had lit in his eyes. His face looked hesitant but his eyes determined, and he stood solidly and surely, pushing back the hood of his cloak, letting the sunlight reach him.

"I am proud of you, Aragorn. I am proud to have known you your whole life, and I am honored to have been able to guide you while I could," I said finally, keeping my voice gentle and low.

"I am grateful for all you have done for me, Elenathrian," he answered in the same tone, his voice slightly hoarse.

I rested my hand over his like a mother would to a child, stared into his face with stern eyes, and said firmly, "Do not be afraid. This is who you are meant to be."

Aragorn glanced up, meeting my eyes. I did not blink, and he then nodded.

I softened my expression, then, and withdrew my hand. "Good."

"I am ready for today."

I smiled. "And after that?" Aragorn smiled as well, knowing of what I spoke.

"The wedding," he said softly, a dream-like expression on his sunlit face.
-
Several hours later, we were packed on the very top level of the White City. The citizens of Minas Tirith, along with many from other Gondorian cities, stood nearest to the edges, with the royals and lords standing by the aisle. I stood with Legolas, at the end of the aisle, along with the remaining elves that hadn't gone across the sea yet.

Aragorn stood at the entrance to the citadel with Gandalf, who stood on the steps. His head was bowed, his new armor shining, having been freshly polished, and though I couldn't see his face, I knew he wore a solemn and calm expression that he got when he was trying to hide his determination and nervousness.

Gandalf raised the crown up high, and the whole crowd seemed to inhale at the same moment, the air filled with anticipation and excitement of finally having a King once more.