Redbone

Author's Note: If you truly want to capture the full essence of this chapter, please listen to Redbone especially in the later parts of the chapter. Emotions will arise and it'll come together. 

Michael 

I stared as Joy was taken away on the stretcher and flinched when the ambulance's doors slammed. Tate was at my side and Teagan was on the other. "You okay?" Teagan whispered. I shook my head. How did she get pregnant? Who was she with? Was she sneaking out? Didn't Tate put her on birth control for her health? 

"C'mon," Tate said. She grabbed my arm and led me back inside. Tate made an announcement to all the patients that no activities would be held today and that the only time a patient should be out of their room is for counseling services only, approved by her or any of the to other doctors. I secluded myself in my office and laid my head down on the mahogany desk. "Hey." I looked up and saw Tate staring. Her perfectly place blond hair was no longer perfect and the usual smile was a deep set grimace. "You okay?" I shook my head. 

"Joy was my favorite. She was amazing. I didn't even practice with her because she was like a little sister to me. She had so much potential and now she's just...wasting away." 

Tate frowned. "Stop speaking in past tense. She's not dead. She had a miscarriage. Many women have miscarriages." 

"How did she end up pregnant?!" I shouted. 

I felt the rush of heat on my face as I grew angry. "I don't get it! I watched you prescribe her with birth control and the resident physician check on her every month. What the hell went wrong?!" Tate sighed and shook her head. "We're going to figure this out okay?" I nodded slowly and sighed as she wrapped her arm around me and embraced me. "You fight so hard for Joy. You obviously care for her. Don't stress, worry about little miss Hollywood." I chuckled as I inhaled the familiar sent of Tom Ford perfume. I had flashbacks to when Tate was my doctor. 

The secret nights alone, the subtle glances, the quick kisses we shared when nobody was around....

"You're drifting." I jumped and sighed. "I think I wanna take the day off except for Teagan. Cancel the group session and I was hosting trivia night for some of the minors...tell them I have to do it tomorrow." Renee smiled and placed her manicured hand on my face. "You're such a great doctor. You were always my favorite." I scoffed, I didn't know how to feel about that. Since Tate used the same methods, I now practice, to get me under control. "If you do anything today, you know what to do." I nodded. Tate walked out of my office and I huffed. 

I wasn't supposed to be smoking but I was. I was stressed and I cracked under pressure with Joy today and couldn't even function. The garden was quiet as I sat in the dead center. I'm sure it was almost midnight, only the full moon providing light. I heard faint music coming from the side of me and I looked around for the source. I followed it until the words came clear to be 'Redbone'. Teagan was sitting on a boulder and just staring. She looked immaculate, like the goddess of love herself. "Hey," she whispered. 

She slowly looked over at me and smiled. "I heard you," she informed me, already knowing my question, "come sit." She patted the spot next to her and I complied with her wishes. We sat in silence and listened to the song play again. "I listen to this when I need to relax...or have sex." I chuckled. "It's about paranoia though." "I know." We both laughed and it slowly ceased. "What are you doing here, Tea?" I calmly asked. 

"I just needed a moment. You can escort me back to my room whenever you feel the need." 

That's the thing, I felt the need but I didn't want to. I wanted to stay and be present in all her beauty, splendor, and sorrow. I was being hypnotized by this woman I was supposed to treat. The instrumental kept playing and we made eye contact and held it. Something stirred in my body and I felt my heart begin to pound against my chest, as if it was running to her. 

Teagan turned to face me and grabbed my forearm. I shivered, even though it was seventy degrees. Her long, slender fingers traced the veins that protruded through my skin from all the workouts I've done. Her beautiful brown hands, lightly traced circles over my pale skin. She kept running her hands over my arms until she made her way up to my shoulders and then down to my chest. She stopped just above my heart and she froze. 

Never in my life has a woman do this to me, it's usually the other way around. Usually I'm the hunter and she's the prey. I was under this woman's control just from her touch. Teagan looked me into my eyes and I sighed softly. 

Her lips every so lightly touched mine and my will power was taken. She placed her hands on either side of my face and kept going. My hands, instantly floated to her hips, as if it was second nature. We finally broke from the kiss and I stared, realizing what I was doing. 

Don't develop feelings for a patient. 

I recoiled violently and stood up. "That was unprofessional of me. I apologize." I quickly turned and darted for the door back into the center. "Michael!" She hollered. I locked myself in my room and slide down to the floor in panic. "What the hell have I done?!" I hissed at myself. 

I've found my vice...