[5] It's as if I'm having a dream of tomorrow

"Takashi-kun...!"Called out the middle-aged woman to her young, distant relative from the kitchen. Her voice is always gentle and cheerful, even in her old age. After a few seconds, steps from upstairs can be heard as they approach downstairs to the kitchen.

" Yes, Touko-san? I'm just done getting ready to go out. Is there anything you want me to buy on the way back home later? "Natsume offered as he put his shoes on.

" Oh no, no. That's not it. Here, this is your lunchbox. It may seem a bit too much, but I figured you would share it with your friends as well, right? Do you think they will like it? "Touko seems so happy for some reason, although there's a high chance that's because she's happy to cook a lot for Natsume and his friends. The things that she couldn't do before Natsume came to live with them.

" Thank you, Touko-san. I'm sure they will love your cooking. I will come back this evening. "Natsume smiled as he received the purple-colored wrapping with his lunchbox inside. It is indeed heavier than his usual lunchbox. Natsume figured that it must take a lot of time to prepare a three-tray big lunchbox like this. He will surely return the kindness later this evening after he gets back from Ukiyoe town.

" Alright then, hurry up and go to the station. Is there any more you need? "Asked Touko-san while following Natsume's step to the gate.

" No, it's more than enough. Thank you, Touko-san. I'm going out. "

" Yes~ have a safe trip! "

.

.

." Natsume! Let's stop at Nanatsujiya before we go!"As if Natsume's bag is not heavy enough with Nyanko-sensei and the lunch box he carries, Nyanko-sensei orders him to take even more.

" Sensei, we have the lunch made by Touko-san more than enough, aren't we? And we don't have the time for it anyway, we will be too late to arrive at the station. "Natsume then fastened his pace, walking to the station.

" No...! I want Manju! Manju! Manju! "Cried Nyanko-sensei, although his attempt is a failure to make Natsume follow his order.

.

.
.

Nura Clan House

It's so early in the morning, the 4th day of the summer holiday, seemingly over brilliant sunlight, scorching weather with the sounds of cicadas in almost every nook.

" Yah... I feel like my head is gonna cooked soon. "Joked Nato as he fanned himself up and down.

" Hoho, I don't mind having a warm Nato as my desert tonight. "Suddenly, the supreme commander smirked mischievously behind the poor little youkai.

" W-what?! Supreme commander?! Please don't joke around like that..."The Nato youkai immediately jumped out from the floor and backed away to the wood pillar. Everyone knows that the Supreme Commander is just joking, but he's been saying that joke too often every summer.

The old supreme commander can only snort in arrogance as he walks out to the garden." Where's Rikuo, by the way? I didn't see him training at the dōjō. "

" Oh, he just went to the station with Tsurara, Kurotabo, and Aotabo. "

" To the station? Is he going to somewhere? "

" No, he's going to meet that person, that Reiko's-- I-I mean, Natsume-dono. "The Nato, who didn't dare to walk out from the shadow, carefully selected his way of naming the guest. He knows about Reiko as he previously lived in the area where she lived before. But, just as every other weak Youkai, he'd rather avoid her.

" Ohh, right. Today is Saturday. That kid promised to revisit us after all. That means that fatty cat will come here again, huh? "Nurarihyon can only cross his arms under his sleeve, staring into the bright summer sky as if reminiscing his little memory of the same scorching summer in the past.

.

.

.

" Go away, you freak! "Just like a chant of misfortune, those words keep resounding around the girl with a school uniform. From the woods, there sit two unearthly creatures as they observe the scenery quietly.

" Hmph, foolish human child, she should've just killed that brat already. Ah, but I heard human these days isn't as merciless as before. "Snarled the Youkai with a pipe in his mouth. He puffed out a sandalwood-scented smoke from his mouth.

" Don't meddle with their life, Nurarihyon. "The other beast alerted him nonchalantly. His eyes only reflect that girl's image while looking out at her.

" Hah, as if I would. Princess Yohime is far better in personality and appearance than anyone I've ever met. "

" ... I never even compared your wife with her. I'm just telling you, don't bother her. She... had enough of both sides, cut her some slack."Joked the beast, still trying to sleep. But even Nurarihyon could feel a hint of strained tone in his voice. Perhaps the relationship between Madara and Reiko has more than the eyes to meet.

" But that human child, Natsume Reiko, is not the kind of human you usually meet. Not that even she wants to meet you anyway. "Madara followed.

" Hmph, you're just getting old. "Nurarihyon smirked as he threw back his counterattack from Madara before. Madara could only hiss back at him, but he added I alerted the youkai men again.

" Heh, I won't deny that I'm getting old. But you shouldn't be mad if someone calls you an old fart either. "Nurarihyon's eye twitched in annoyance. Like a true childish old man, he puffed out a long smoke from his pipe to Madara's face with a frown. The poor wolf-like beast immediately got up and snarled at him, covering his snout.

And with that, Nurarihyon finally heeded his alert. Not because he's scared of her, but because he just doesn't want to meddle with human life--at least the one who reflected in Madara's eyes.

.

.

.

At the Ukiyoe station.

"Master, do you want to drink? "Kurotabo asked kindly.

"Oh, not it's okay. I think Natsume-san will be here soon. But if you want to buy something for yourself, go ahead. The day is rather hotter than I would've expected. Even though this is just the beginning of our summer... "Rikuo refused him with a smile. The Third Head and Tsurara sit side by side while Kurotabo and Aotabo stand beside them, guarding their surroundings like a bodyguard.

Not too long after they chatted for a while, the train finally rang its locomotive from the direction they had been waiting. Letting the smoke dissolve into the air.

" Oh, that must be the train. "Rikuo said happily, getting off his seat and ready to welcome his guest. The number of the train matched the one from Natsume's message on their chat.

"By the way, how did you know it's their train, Rikuo-sama? "Tsurara asked while walking beside him.

" I exchanged numbers with him before. "Tsurara doesn't look so surprised since almost all of the youkai in Nura Clan use cell phones now, but she didn't get the intruder's number before. She didn't even think to ask for anyone's numbers besides her master and her fellow comrades from the clan.

From behind the yellow line, Rikuo could already feel his presence--he was sharpening his instinct after the whole battle--eventually, the tall figure of a young man carrying his grey backpack stepped out of the wagon.

" Rikuo-kun, you're here! Thank you for picking me up. "Natsume bowed slightly politely. But Rikuo is still not used to how he gets this treatment. It makes him feel awkward as he still has human blood in him, which is a few years younger than Natsume.

"D-don't mention it, Natsume-san! It's also kind of my problem for not providing you with a more precise direction. "Rikuo smiled sheepishly as he scratched his cheek with his index. He bowed to Natsume in return.

"Did you wait long? I've heard the weather forecast--"He couldn't finish his words yet; something inside his backpack distracted all the Nura Clan companions.

"AHHHH! It's so hot, Natsume! You idiot! Are you trying to boil me?! "

"Waah! A talking pig!"Tsurara screamed hysterically as she pointed to Nyanko-sensei out loud." Imbecile brat! I'm a cat! "

Finally, Nyanko-sensei snapped at her."S-sensei! Shh! Be quiet, would you? There's no normal cat that can talk. "Natsume picked up Nyanko-sensei immediately and guarded him with his arms.

" Oh yeah! M-meow... meow..."Witnessing such a comedic scenery before him, Rikuo couldn't help but let out a small laugh.

"Pfft! Is this really the beast that wrecked our meeting room yesterday? "

"Ah! I-i'm so sorry about that! I promise I will help you to fix it!"Natsume immediately bowed deeply to him.

"N-no! It's alright, Natsume-san! Please raise your head. The meeting room had been fixed already. "

"E-eh?! "