[16] Into the joy of living

The forest always stays quiet. They live all their life as a silent witness of the world. The forest is one of the significant lifelines for the habitat; even the forest itself is trying to live amidst the silence. There was once someone who posed a philosophical question; "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" And Natsume once thought in his youth, far before he settled in this small town, how great it is to be like that tree in the middle of the forest. Until he realized that his life was not so different from that silent fallen tree.

Natsume and Zen are totally different kinds of life, just like him and Nyanko-sensei and all his Youkai friends. Natsume is the complete human he is, while Zen is a Youkai that Natsume is already familiar with.

True that Zen was skeptical about Natsume before, but looking at the human child suddenly crying like that, perhaps Natsume is much, much younger than Rikuo. In a term that Zen couldn't pinpoint. But it's not just Zen who has a change of heart. Even Natsume himself let his inferiority complex out like that in front of Zen; on top of that, it showed Natsume harboring a sliver of jealousy towards Rikuo.

Truthfully, Zen always knows that Natsume is just an ordinary, kind boy whose life is intertwined with Youkai in his daily life. He wants to believe that in the back of his mind, but whenever he thinks about the danger of Book of Friends being in Natsume's possession, he just can't turn a blind eye to him. Even more so if it poses any threat to Rikuo.

Sitting beside Zen, Natsume looks down at the ground, which is covered with dry leaves scattered around their feet. It still takes around a week until autumn comes, but the leaves already starting to fall.

" The Book... Do you carry it now? "

Zen asked, glancing down at Natsume.

Probably, it's just Natsume's reflex, but every time a Youkai asked or said something about this book, Natsume unconsciously put on his guard.

" Don't worry, if I really want to take it, I can do it the moment I saw you hurt your leg. And I'm not asking it because I am interested in the book. "

Zen explained nonchalantly as he crossed his hands under his sleeve.

" O-Ohh... Yes... I bring it. I always carry it wherever I go. "

Natsume then let his guard down a little. He couldn't just think wrong of Zen anyway. Hearing those words lifted up Natsume's heart.

" I see... Heh, if it's too much trouble, why don't you give it to the damn fat cat? I might not be entirely a good judge of a character, but at least I can tell from my standpoint that Madara has grown attached to you, doesn't he? I'm not saying he's a good Youkai, but someone whose long acquaintance with Supreme Commander couldn't be that bad. "

" I couldn't help it, can I? Most of the Youkai are searching for my grandma, the book, the name, me, or just simply want to take the book for their possession. "

Natsume said in an underlying desperate tone. It's rare for Natsume to open up like this--even if it's only a little-- other than to Nyanko-sensei.

" Well, somehow, I want to pity you... "

Natsume is about to object to Zen's word of pity before he gets interrupted by his follow-up.

" But I guess you won't like it, right? You're a guy and old enough to at least take care of yourself in this kind of situation. So you know... "

Zen paused for a moment. Facing the ground, closing his eyes with a troubled face.

" I'm sorry for being suspicious towards you. "