[14] The heart contests

Just as Natsume said about his place before, there's really nothing so interesting that should be seen. Although, there's that time when he and his schoolmates went on an adventure to visit a Soda Spring. But that's only about it. He doesn't even know if it's safe to drink. He already explained that briefly at the station before, the tourist from the heart of Tokyo, in Kanto, still seemingly eager to see around the hill and the fields.

The calendar indicates only half a month left to go, but the scorching sun makes it seem as if they haven't even reached the peak yet. Not that it's a new thing for Natsume to be weak under the direct summer sunlight, but Natsume just couldn't help but let out a heavy breath for a while now.

Noticing Natsume's situation from the corner of his glasses, Rikuo asks to rest in the forest as they take shelter under big lush trees. Rikuo also takes note of Zen's condition, and he's far better than he thought. Their dynamic is actually really funny when Rikuo thinks about it. Natsume is the weakest physically among them as he's fully human, Rikuo is the strongest despite being a halfling, and Zen, being fully a Youkai, is worse than Rikuo and their average Youkai but definitely more robust than Natsume in physical terms.

" Hah... This is really good... The air and atmosphere are totally different compared to Ukiyoe Town. "Rikuo smiles calmly as he leans against a pretty big rock behind him.

Natsume, who's preparing to drink from the bottle he brought, says," Is it? But there's nothing much to see here, though. Although, I can show you some pretty interesting places. "

" Interesting places? Like Soda Spring? As long as it's not a haunted place, I'm in! "

"...pfft, haha. I didn't expect that you know there's Soda Spring around here. I once went there with my schoolmates. We got lost a few times, and the place was pretty underwhelming. But it's a good experience nonetheless. I don't even know why we were laughing so much at that time, probably because of how excited we were while knowing fully well how brazen it was the idea of drinking carbonated water from an iffy Soda Spring. "

" Of course, I would know about it! I've done my research, after all! Also, I'm actually a member of the Kiyojuuji Paranormal Patrol club in my school. It is fascinating when we encounter various kinds of strange phenomena that occur around us. Well, although most of these phenomena end up being underwhelmingly funny, like this Soda Spring. "

Rikuo and Natsume shares a laugh. They think it's amusing, after all, to have this Soda Spring that makes all the kids go on an adventure. Even though they've suspected it's going to be undrinkable or something that is not as spectacular as what they've imagined. Going on an adventure with friends is always fun, nevertheless.

Just as the two youngsters tell each other about their adventurous experiences, Natsume's self-proclaimed bodyguard crawls behind him with a low groan.

" Natsume... I want... No, I need to eat something... Manju... Dango... Ebi Furai... Touko's cooking..."But it seems the noisy cat is not even as energetic as usual. Although, of course, he would go crying like this and beg--or force Natsume sometimes--to buy him food.

"Sensei, you already ate one whole fish from Touko's-san before coming here, weren't you? At home. "But Natsume's defense is tough to break whenever it comes to Nyanko-sensei food portion. He notices that due to the spoiling of everyone at home, the cat obviously gains weight significantly each season.

Entertained but reminded by Nyanko-sensei's comical whining, Rikuo suddenly remembered that the sun had been on the top of their head for a while. Which means it should be time for lunch already. Glancing at Zen, who had been silent most of the time, made Rikuo feel worried a little about his condition.

" Hahaha, it's alright, Natsume-san. Actually, I have been feeling a little bit hungry as well. Is it alright if we take a break first before continuing? "Rikuo forced a smile, though Natsume seemed to notice that already. Glancing at the other Youkai, who's been quiet the entire time, Natsume understands Rikuo's reasoning. Rikuo and Zen's bond seems to run deeper than he thought.

" Alright then. I know a good place near here. Let's go. "Thus, the three of them, with one cat, continue walking to the restaurant near their current location. .

.

.

" Zen, here. Eat more. "The usual worrywart Rikuo finally shows up again. Giving Zen a piece of his beef slice on top of Zen's bowl of rice.