Prologue

Prologue

It is 2143. Planet Earth was destroyed 131 years ago and now any inhabitants of Planet Earth are living on Mars. Six months before Earth ceased to exist, all persons living on the planet were sent to Mars after years of researching the living conditions on the planet. Mars was deemed a safe place for dwellers, and so began the moving. Immense amounts of people were stuffed onto extravagant rocket ships and sent out to Mars. They were allowed to bring five suitcases of stuff per person, with seven people to a compartment. In total, there were one hundred compartments, meaning that each space shuttle could carry seven hundred people. Each day, 54, 644 people were evacuated, except for the ones who refused and thought they would live. Well, they were wrong. Anyone who was left died when Earth blew up, one continent at a time. For many years, Planet Earth had been polluted due to cars, factories, and waste left around by careless humans. Now, if anyone leaves trash anywhere, you are automatically fined two hundred dollars. At this time, four and a half billion people are living on Mars, crammed together, waiting for a scientifically planet to be created so that the population will not be so squished on one planet. Everyday children attend special schools with tight restrictions and schedules. According to these schedules, every person of ages one to fifteen must be inside their dwelling by six thirty p.m. If this rule is broken, your family will be given a strike. Five strikes and you are given a fine of three hundred dollars. Most fines are lower than on Planet Earth due to money restrictions on Mars. Now that the government and scientist have figured out how to continue human life on Mars, every person is required to have a surgery on their fifteenth birthday, to make them more like an adult. This will change their looks slightly, and alter their brain chemistry. Everyone has the surgery, even if they disagree secretly and even if they don't want to.

And before, Echo Hilton, no one has ever challenged it. And soon, life on Mars is about to change.