you admit your cat is your best friend

LOUIS:  “Having some much needed bonding time with my best friend…it’s been a long week :(” says your tweet that Louis has just read.  “Hey, babe!  I was just gonna pop by your place to grab Niall’s guitar, but I just saw your tweet so is tomorrow better for you?” he texts you.  “No, you can come over today still.  I’m home,” you reply.  About 30 minutes later, Louis knocks on your door.  You answer, still in your pajamas and holding your cat under one arm.  “I thought you were hanging out with one of your friends?” Louis asks, confused, as he steps into your apartment.  “Nope, nobody’s coming over.  Niall’s guitar is over there,” you inform him, pointing.  “Then are you going out?  You said you were bonding with your best friend…” Louis presses inquisitively, grabbing Niall’s guitar from the corner of the room.  “I am,” you respond simply.  “So…you’re going out later?”  “Nope.  I have no intention of getting out of my pajamas today.  Now, as much as I love you, I’d really like to get back to the movie I was watching.”  “But…your best friend…” Louis stammers, knitting his brow as he tries to figure this out.  You sigh.  “He’s right here, Lou.  My best friend is right here,” you inform him sadly, holding your cat out in front of you a bit.  Louis gives you a blank look.  “What?” he finally asks you quietly.  You simply look at him, feeling a bit awkward and embarrassed.  Louis moves forward a few steps to close the small gap between you.  Pulling you into his arms, he says, “You know I’m here for you, right?  You know you can come talk to me about anything, don’t you?”  You nod into his chest.  “Yeah, I know that.  Sometimes I just need time with my cat though.  He’s been there for me even before I knew you.  As crazy as it sounds, sometimes I feel like he’s the only one who understands some things,” you admit, your cheeks pinkening.  Louis pulls away just enough to look you in the eyes and flash you a loving smile.  “I love you,” he reminds you.  “If you need some time with your cat, then by all means, have a day to yourselves.  Just promise me that if you ever want to have a two-way conversation, you’ll come to me, yeah?” he asks playfully, a twinkle in his eye.  “It’s a deal,” you say through a small giggle before Louis gives you a kiss on his way out the door.

HARRY:  Harry had been sleeping, but as he shifts positions, he wakes up a bit.  Upon hearing your soft whimpers, he wakes up completely, turning to face you.  “What’s wrong?” he asks quietly into the darkness.  You quickly swipe at your tears and force out a, “Nothing.”  “Doesn’t sound like nothing,” he insists, wrapping a strong arm around your waist to pull you in closer to his abdomen.  “It’s silly, really.  It’s not a big deal,” you try to downplay it.  Harry settles his face in your hair, kissing the top of your head. “If it’s got you upset then it must be of some importance…”  There is a long, silent pause before you speak again.  “If I tell you, you can’t make fun of me for it.”  “I wouldn’t dream of it,” he reassures you sincerely.  “I just really miss my cat…” you tell him softly.  “Your cat?  The one that passed away years ago?”  “Yeah, I know, it’s stupid.  But it’s been almost five years and I just got to thinking about it…it just kind of upset me, is all.  I mean, back when I was in school, he was the only one I had to talk to for a while.  My friends had been excluding me from things, so my cat and I would hang out all the time because I had no one else to spend time with,” you babble.  “God, that sounds so pathetic!” you exclaim, covering your face with your hands in embarrassment.  Harry gently pulls your hands away from your face.  “There’s nothing pathetic about that.  Nothing at all,” he assures you.  “I just miss him,” you muttter.  “I know you do.  I’m sure he was a good cat,” he agrees through a smile, not having actually met your cat himself.  You crack a small smile.  “Thank you for not thinking I’m being irrational or something.”  “Of course I don’t.  Pets are much better companions than people.  They are excellent listeners and they never try to tell you what to do…sounds like an ideal friendship to me, to be honest.”  You get a small laugh out of this, snuggling in closer to his chest.  “Thanks again.”  “You don’t have to thank me.  It’s what I’m here for.  And just so you know, I wouldn’t mind being a replacement for your cat if you ever need someone to talk to,” Harry offers.  Smiling once more, you answer, “Thanks, but you’ve already managed to do that for me.”