Nifaaq

Hasan Basri رحمة الله  used to say in respect to Nifaaq (hypocrisy):
“No one fears it but a Believer and no one feels safe from it but a
hypocrite."

Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه reported that Rasululullah  صلئ الله عليه وسلم  said: "Three are the signs of a hypocrite:
When he speaks, he lies;
 When he makes a promise, he breaks it;
 and when he is trusted, he betrays his trust.'' (Bukhari and Muslim)

Another narration has the added words: "Even if he observes Saum (fasts), performs Salaah (prayer) and claims to be a Muslim.''

In another Hadeeth, Rasululullah صلئ الله عليه وسلم  said: "Four are the
qualities which, when found in a person, make him a complete
hypocrite, and one who possesses one of them, possesses one characteristic of hypocrisy until he abandons it. These are: When he is entrusted with something, he betrays trust; when he speaks, he lies; when he promises, he acts treacherously; and when he argues, he becomes vulgar.''(Bukhari and Muslim).

Hence, a person may have 25%, 50 %, 75% or even 100% hypocrisy within him.

Let us introspect and let us be honest to ourselves : What are we? Can we be comfortable with these weaknesses? Where are our actions going to take us?

Continuing with the narration : Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم assured Hazrat Th’alaba رضي الله عنه than there were no such verses revealed.

With great compassion and mercy and observing the tiredness, frailty and weakness of Hazrat Th’alaba رضي الله عنه, Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم  had him lie down. He then placed
Hazrat Th’alaba رضي الله عنه’s head on his lap.

Hazrat Th'alaba رضي الله عنه said : “O Rasulullah, remove the head of a sinner away from you.”

In response, Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم   comforted him until Hazrat Th’alaba رضي الله عنه said : “I feel as though ants are walking between my flesh and bones.”
Nabi صلئ اللہ علیہ و سلم , gently explained that it was death and that his time had come.

Hazrat Th'alaba رضي الله عنه thus proclaimed :
َ

“There is none worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad is
the Messenger of Allah صلئ الله عليه وسلم .”

… And his soul departed from his
emaciated body. … [اننا لله ؤ اننا إليه راجعون  ].

  سبحان الله  

What a great privilege and tremendous honour, returning to Allah Ta’ala whilst in the compassionate care of the Beloved of Allah Ta’ala صلئ الله عليه وسلم .

Nabi صلئ الله عليه وسلم  gave ghusl (washed) to Hazrat Th’alaba رضي الله عنه and carried him to his grave.

On their way to bury Hazrat Th’alaba رضي الله عنه,  Rasulullah صلى الله عليه
walked on his toes, as though he was in a big crowd.

When Hazrat Umar رضي الله عنه
asked the reason for doing so,

Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم  explained that there was such a large gathering of angels, that he did not have place to put his feet fully on the ground. (Source: Abu nu'aim in his Hilyah).

…That was the ‘Sin’.
…That was the Taubah.
…That was the Forgiveness in this world.
…That was the Honour after death.

Would that we take lesson. Would that we understand that  the noble Sahabah رضي الله عنهم (Companions) of Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم were not like us.

When we read of an isolated incident of a Sahabi رضي الله عنه having committed theft and his hand cut off, or a Sahabi having committed zina and then stoned to death, then as has been said – all of this transpired to teach us our Shariah and how to implement it in our society.

There are those who are so misguided and far astray that they label the majority of the Sahabah رضي الله عنهمas Murtads (apostates) or brand them as wilful sinners نعؤذ بالله  . How can
this ever be, when these were a people whom Allah Ta’ala has
granted His everlasting pleasure?

“…ALLAH IS WELL-PLEASED WITH THEM AND THEY ARE WELL-
PLEASED WITH HIM…”

[SURAH AT-TAUBAH 9 : 100]

Whilst there were incidents where the Sahabah-e-Kiraam رضي الله عنهما  erred, their Taubah was exceptional and unique in its sincerity.