ADVISING WITH COMPASSION

Allah Ta’ala mentions in Surah Ghaafir / Surah Mu'min :

“HA MIM. THE IS REVELATION OF THE BOOK FROM ALLAH,THE MIGHTY, THE ALL-KNOWING, THE ONE WHO FORGIVES SINS AND ACCEPTS REPENTANCE, THE ONE WHO IS SEVERE IN PUNISHMENT,
THE ONE WHO IS THE SOURCE OF ALL POWER.THERE IS NO GOD BUT HE. TO HIM IS THE ULTIMATE RETURN (OF ALL).”
[SURAH MU'MIN 40 : 1/2/3]

There is an incident mentioned in books of Tafseer (commentary of
the Qur'aan Shareef), that there was a Syrian who used to visit 'Hazrat Umar رضي الله عنه. When he did not visit for a lengthy period of time, Hazrat 'Umar رضي الله عنه  made enquiries about the man’s absence. The people said that the man had taken to the sin of drinking. On being informed, Hazrat ‘Umar رضي الله عنه  had his scribe write the following letter:

From ‘Umar, son of Al-Khattab to ______ son of ______. Salaamun
‘alaik (Peace on you). After that, I praise Allah before you, other than whom there is no god worthy of worship. He is the One who forgives sins and accepts repentance, The One who is severe in punishment, The One who is the Source of All Power. There is no god but He. To Him is the ultimate return (of all).”

Hazrat  Umar رضي الله عنه then said to those around him : ‘Let us all join in to pray for him, that Allah Ta’ala reverses his heart and accepts his repentance.’

Hazrat Umar رضي الله عنه  sent the letter with a messenger, instructing
him to hand over the letter directly to the man, and the letter was to be given only when he was sober. On receiving the letter, the person read through the contents repeatedly, realizing the warning of being punished as well as the favour of forgiveness. He made such sincere Taubah that he never touched liquor again.

On being informed of the consequences that followed his letter,
Hazrat  Umar رضي الله عنه  said to the people : ‘In such matters, you too should do the same. When some brother falls into some slip of conduct, think of ways to bring him back to his normal and better self. Prompt him to turn to Allah, to place his trust in Him, to rely on His Mercy. Pray to Allah for him, pray that he is enabled to repent and make his Taubah. And do not become an accomplice of shaytaan against him (that is, rebuke him or incense him and thereby distance him from his religion.)”

This is the correct manner in making ‘Amr bil Ma'roof and Nahy anil
Munkar’: Together with dua, we should invite with gentleness, sympathy and empathy.

…Your Lord has inscribed for Himself (the rule of) Mercy: Verily if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented and amended (his conduct), Lo! He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”
[Surah An’aam 6 : 5 4]