Your First Assignment

A shovel. 

He handed you a sharpened shovel. 

You look at Seishiro Hiragi with sheer confusion. "Ummmm... You called me to the main gate super early in the morning to give me this?" you ask gesturing to the tool you now had in your right hand. The major general flashed a wicked grin at you. "But of course! How else could a civilian be able to kill a spider?" Oh, so this was some sort of punishment mission for rejecting him yesterday. But spiders? That was an extremely low blow, since he knew you were petrified by even the tiniest of those eight-legged demons.

 You look at the shovel again, this time with  suspicion. "What is that supposed to mean Sei? Why can't you or one of your soldiers take care of it." His smile widened. "It means I am sending you on a little mission to get rid of a troublesome spider that is hiding out near the gate. I don't want it bothering my soldiers when they are trying to return to the city. They are going to be exhausted by the time they get back, and dealing with such a small problem would be very demeaning to them. Besides, civilians have to help out too, ya know. But don't be too worried, it's right out side in the building with the purplish door, two streets down, and on the left. It is in sight of the complex so I highly doubt any of those big, bad vampires are going to get you."

 "Out-out-outside? But civilians aren't allowed outside" you stammer. Still smiling evilly, he gives you a not-so-comforting pat on the shoulder and says "Unless given permission by someone with proper authority, which I have. Do you really think I would send you out there if I didn't think you could handle it? Besides, You haven't been out of the city since the outbreak, you must be dying to see the what it looks like out there." You clutch the shovel to your chest, trying to comfort yourself. "That isn't funny." Seishiro grabbed your shoulders, spun you around, and pushed you out of the barely opened gate. "NO, IT WAS HILARIOUS," he yelled just before the gate shut behind you, forcing you into the dangerous unknown.