Chapter Thirty Eight

Riley had a hard time falling asleep. She was back in the same room she was in when she was at Eli's after they escaped and Matt was sleeping in Eli's room on one of the guy's beds. Apparently they were out of town for a bit for either work or for some sort of trip. Riley was too tired to actually pay attention to why they weren't there, which was fine. But Riley wasn't. She had told Eli that she was going to go to bed at around nine but instead of sleeping, she had been crying into her pillow to muffle her sobs. There was no clock in the room so she didn't know how long she had been crying, but when she looked out of the window, it was dark, which could have only meant about an hour.

Then there was a knock on the door. Riley quickly rubbed her eyes with her wrists before planting the side of her head on her pillow before turning so her body was facing the wall. Even though no one answered, the door flew open to reveal girlish laughs. The smell of alcohol swept into Riley's nose which made her crinkle her nose as she kept her eyes shut.

"That party was crazy," one of them said with a giggle. There was a thud before one of the mattresses creaked from impact. Riley rolled her eyes as they remained close. "Tommy was so sweet too!" The girl gushed before the other girl shushed her.

"Nona will find out that you're drunk if you don't shut up," the other girl muttered before slamming the door shut. "And Tommy's a dick. I don't know why you ever got back with him." The drunk girl giggled before her bed creaked again. Riley had a faint feeling that her name was Hazel since she had heard one of the girl's call her that before. Or maybe she remembered wrong.

"Tommy isn't a dick, Jessie," the drunken girl said with a delicate, high voice. Riley didn't know how anyone would be able to talk that way. "Did you see how he tried to help me out of the place?"

"He threw you on the streets from the club," Jessie pointed out as she raised both of her eyebrows. Riley rolled her eyes and continued to stay as still as she could. The same Tommy sounded familiar for some odd reason. "And before he did that, he kissed you while you were done your fifth drink." Riley wasn't sure what the boy's deal was, and she still had no clue who he even was.

"You're just jealous that I have a hot boyfriend and you don't," Hazel said before sticking her tongue out.

"Renner is hot!" Jessie said with a defensive voice before she huffed out some air. "You know what? Fine. Have fun with your upcoming hangover." And with that, Jessie stormed out of the room.

---

The next morning was hard for Riley. She woke up and felt like bricks were holding her in place. Jessie was still not in the room and Hazel, the one who woke up groaning from her hangover, was still rolling around in her bed. Riley tried to go back to sleep but when the door flew open, she slowly sat up to see Nona on the phone.

"We need to go," she said quickly as she walked toward Riley. "Your dad's awake." Riley took a second to process that but when she finally did, Nona had put a shirt and pants at the foot of the bed. The girl jumped into action and hurried her body into her new clothes after nearly ripping the old clothing off her body. Then she put on the old running shoes that Nona had given her to wear back when she first came.

When she got down the stairs, Matt was next to Eli on the couch. They were sharing a muffin and when Nona came back down the stairs, Eli looked around and focused all of his attention on her. "Who called?"

"The hospital," Nona muttered before placing the phone carefully on the counter. "Their dad is awake." Matt had turned around as well and practically jumped off the couch at the mention of his father. "We're heading out." Eli nodded before getting off the couch as well. When he turned his head just slightly to the right, he saw Riley and offered a light smile before he walked over and pecked her lips.

"Did you sleep okay?" He asked with a careful smile. Riley shrugged before she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him. "Are you okay?" She took a second, but eventually nodded.

_______________________________________

HEY GUYS! I'M SO SORRY THIS CHAPTER IS SO SHORT! It's a bit of a filler since some stuff if about to happen!!

But I hope you guys enjoyed! If you did, please vote....

And follow me if you haven't already!

Peace out Secrets and God bless you all!

-S