Chapter 8

Adriana Valentine

~

"I'm done, Joe. I can't keep doing this." He scoffed and stared into my eyes. "Give it another chance, please! I'm sorry!" "No, you keep cheating! This is not a game!" "This is a game! What are you talking about!?" I looked at the TV and sighed. "Oh yeah." He laughed loudly and kissed my forehead. "You know how competitive I get sometimes! Sorry." He shook his head and smiled. "Don't sweat it, babe. What time is it?" I looked at my watch and closed my eyes. "2:30. I guess it's time to finally face her." He stood up and held his hand out for me. "I'm ready to go, Adriana." Riley walked in the game room with a glum look on his face. "Don't worry, Ri. I'm gonna be there with you." I hugged him and walked out of the room with him. "Don't worry, sweetheart. I'm not gonna let her take you away from me. It won't happen." He nodded and opened the door for me. I picked up my set of keys and got in the car. "If you want me to go, I'll leave you two alone." He nodded and put on his seat belt. "I'm telling you now. If she tries anything, I'm kicking her ass." He nodded and glanced over at me. 

~

"Riley, my baby!" Ava pulled him in for a hug and he reluctantly hugged back. "Hey, ma. How are you?" "I'm great. I'm cleaning myself up now. For you and my husband." I furrowed my eye brows and followed her into the living room. "You-you got married?" He looked so hurt. "Yeah, he's out right now. You'll get to meet him later." Riley sat next to me and Ava sat across from us. "So, you're a freshman in high school! How is that going?" "Great, actually. I play football, baseball, and I wrestle." "Really!? Your step-father used to play baseball and football in high school." "I don't know him yet. I don't want to call him my step father," he requested through gritted teeth. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I just want us to be a family." "A family!? You go out and marry some guy without even telling me!? You could have told me, mom." I swear, I saw a tear roll down his cheek. "I didn't know how you would react. I didn't want you to reject me. I've been a terrible mother to you." "Terrible isn't even the right word for this situation." I looked over at him with wide eyes and heard her sigh sadly. "I know. You shouldn't even talk to me anymore. I don't deserve you." Riley looked over at her with so much hate in his eyes. Oh, shit..

~

"You would love that, huh? So you won't have to deal with me anymore." "Ava, he's heartbroken. When he was a kid, you didn't care for him. You were a deadbeat. His father is a terrible person and I don't get it. You just try to waltz back in here and get another chance? Yeah right." Riley wiped his face and nodded. "You've hurt me too many times before. I'm done with you. I don't want to deal with this anymore." He burst into tears and I rubbed his back to calm him down. "I have Adriana and Joe now. I don't need you and this clown in my life." "Joe?" She shot daggers at me and huffed. "Don't turn this on me. I was with him first and you knew that! You know what, I'm not gonna argue with you. This is about Riley. Not my relationship with Joe." She cleared her throat and looked at Riley. "Look, just give me another chance. Please. I love you, Riley. You're my only child. For now." I looked up and sighed. "Mom, you're pregnant?" She nodded excitedly and ran her hand through her light brown hair. "I'm three weeks along, actually. I know its kind of early, but that's okay." She smiled and looked down at her stomach. Oh, boy... Here we go.

~

After catching up with Ava, Riley felt a lot more comfortable around her. "So, do you want to stay with me for tonight?" He looked over at me and smiled. "I guess so. It'll be a new start, I guess." She nodded and stood up. "I'm gonna show you your room. Come on." We followed her upstairs and she opened one of the doors. "Here we are. Do you like it?" He looked around and nodded. "A signed Browns jersey, mom!? Thank you!" "Anything for my boy." He hugged her and she kissed the top of his head. "I have clothes for you, also. Go look in your closet." He opened it and laughed once he walked in. "This is huge!" "I know it's a lot. I went crazy with the credit card the other day." "Thanks again, mom. I'm sorry about yelling at you earlier. I was just upset." "I deserved it, honey. Don't worry." He smiled and hugged her again. "You're getting so big! How tall are you now?" "I'm 6 feet tall. Finally." I stepped back slowly as they talked and walked out the room. "Where are you going, Adriana?" "I'm leaving. I'll see you tomorrow." Riley looked sad for a second and then he smiled. "I'll call you if I need to. Love you." "I love you too, Riley. Please, be careful." He nodded and I walked downstairs. "Ava, I'm home!" I froze at the sound of his voice and we made eye contact after months of not seeing each other. "Hey, Adriana." "Hey, Ryan."

-

Don't hate me. I had to do it. :) Don't forget to leave comments and votes. I love you guys. :) Thank you for being so patient with me.