Chapter 10

Adriana Valentine

~

"Baby, what's the matter? What's wrong?" He picked up the phone and started talking. He hung up and placed it down beside me before getting up and pacing around the room. "I loved that kid. Now he's gone." He started crying and I slowly got out of bed to comfort him. He rested his head on mine and sniffled a couple of times. "I can't believe this. We just saw him yesterday. He was fine." I rubbed his back and he pulled us to the bed. He cried even harder and I tried to hold back my tears, but it wasn't happening. "We're gonna get through this. I love you, Leati." "I love you too, Adriana. I really do." I wiped his face and kissed him. "I'm gonna stop crying and I'm gonna go up to his room and he's gonna be on his bed, playing Madden." He stood up and I followed him out. He walked upstairs and I leaned against the rail while crying. "No! He can't be gone!" I walked upstairs and wrapped my arms around him as the tears kept rolling down his face. "Baby, I'm sorry. I knew I shouldn't have left him there. I knew it!" I looked up at him and he wiped the tears off of my face. "Don't blame yourself. You didn't do anything! I'm blaming those assholes, Ryan and Ava!" I took a step back and shook my head. "No, Ava wouldn't kill him. She doesn't have it in her. Ryan loved that boy more than anything. He wouldn't lay a hand on him." We had a very intense stare down and he growled. I ran downstairs and closed the bedroom door behind me.

~

"Babe, please open up. I didn't mean to say that." "Yes you did, Joe! You know what? I don't think we can get married." I opened the door and sat on the bed. "What are you talking about?" "Everything is overwhelming and I can't handle it." He rubbed my back and kissed the side of my head. "Just take a deep breath, babe. Don't do this. He-he wouldn't want this to happen, Adri." I looked at my hand and sighed. "You're right. I'm just so stressed out and I'm getting sicker, Joe." He glanced at me and furrowed his eye brows. "I got a phone call from my oncologist. The cancer I battled back in 2006 came back and I have to start chemo on Friday. I'll be okay, so don't worry." "My mom told me about that. I was so worried about you." I grabbed his hand and kissed it. "Baby, don't worry about me. I'm gonna be just fine. I have my guardian angels looking over me now." I shook my head and choked back the tears. "Babe, just promise me this. If I die, move on. Don't sulk for the rest of your life. You'll find someone better than me. You're a great guy and I love you." "Don't talk like that, babe. Nothing is gonna happen to you. I love you so much. Don't do this." He kissed my forehead and hugged me. "I'm never gonna let you go. I promise."