Chapter 4

Alisha woke up a herself from the coldness, looking at the clock outside the compacted space. It was 8:52 she had to meet with the judge at 9:00. Jason however had to meet with you judge at 9:15. The cell door opened and the guard ordered her, to put her hands behind her back, the cuffs were once again put on her wrist. She was then escorted to the courthouse. Alisha was placed in the court room the guard removed the cuffs, Alisha rubbed the marks on her wrist from the cuffs. She watched the woman old enough to be her grandmother, whisper to the bailiff. The bailiff broke the silence as a sharp cold voice boomed "All rise!", Alicia stood scared of what might happen and began to cry. "Will the case of Alisha Quinby please step forward?", The elderly judge commanded. Alisha wiped her tears away with her sleeve and slowly step forward. The judge calmly asked, "Where are your parents?" Alisha took a deep breath, my dad died and my mother left when I was little," Alisha replied. "I've been dodging social services for about a week now." "I don't want to be put in a home." Alisha stumbled on her words as she spoke. The judge took pity on the misunderstood teen,who had problems and she was a toddler. She thought this child needs is a good steady home with someone to love, and a slap on the wrist. "Alisha, the judge finally spoke, you know, that these drug charges are pretty hefty stuff." Alisha's eyes drifted from her lap to Jason, "no disrespect but why did you have him sit in here, I don't appreciate a stranger knowing my whole life story." The judge looked at him "well that brings this to you, Jason numerous of times I have took pity on you, gave you warnings about getting your act together and here you are for assault charges never the less, but instead of prison, you're going to be Alisha's guardian until we can find a worthy foster family or home." Jason eyes widened, he thought to himself how can I take care of a teenager by myself, I guess it's better than jail. "Fine, I will do it on one condition, you guys have to find a home within 3 weeks" "Jason your in no position to bargain with my decision." Alisha glanced at the two adults arguing about her like she wasn't even there, am I that bad that no one wants me, she thought. "She's a delinquent!," Jason now furious shouted. " Helloooo, I'm still in the room, and I'm not a delinquent this is my first offense." Alisha snapped at him. "Both of you get out my office now!" Jason you are responsible for Alisha and that's final!" "Good day to you both!"

••Drive Home••

Jason pulled up to the driveway and searched for the garage button, "Damn it, I can never find that thing" "Is this it?", Alisha handed him the remote, "Can I please press it?" "I always seen these on TV with rich white families with their fancy homes and never thought I'd get to use one." Jason looked at this green-eyed girl and began to think maybe he could do this she was already opening up to him. He handed her the remote and she gently applied pressure to the button as if something disastrous would happen once she pressed it. As the door began to open, Jason slowly parked the car in the boxed shaped garage. "Well kid, I guess this is your temporary home." Alisha stepped out the car with a blind hope that everything will someone work out. She stood by the door, while he unlocked the the entry way to her future.