Chapter 3

Jesy woke up that morning like she would any other morning. She’d get up from bed,—or whatever she slept on,—she would brush her teeth, fix her hair, put on something comfortable yet stylish, and look in the mirror. And every single morning, Jesy always wondered the same thing: was she beautiful?

And the voice in the back of her mind always whispered: not beautiful enough for Jade.

Jesy would then continue her morning with some breakfast. She would try to put the thoughts behind. Then Jade would come in the room, and Jesy would feel incredibly insecure.

She wasn’t good enough for Jade.

This morning was a little different, however. Jesy had a small trick up her sleeve on raising her self-esteem. Once she had finished eating, Jesy went through her bag. She found her special doll, and held it up to her lips. “Compliment me. Please,” she whispered. Jesy kissed the top of the doll and then daintily put it back in her bag.

Jesy walked back out, and the girls walked inside the van. Jesy sat in the back, doing nothing in particular. Perrie and Leigh-Anne walked in, and Jade soon followed. She was trying to stuff a last-minute biscuit in her mouth. Jade quickly finished chewing and sat down. She turned to Jesy, and she smiled. “You look absolutely gorgeous today, Jesy,” Jade told her.

The doll was working.

Jesy walked out of the van feeling a little more confident in herself. Jade had complimented her. Sure, it wasn’t a real compliment, but Jesy needed it badly. It was her only source of self-esteem.

The girls of Little Mix were sent to sit behind a table. They were doing a signing, as their second album had just come out in the US. Soon enough, the security guards had started to let their fans walk in, and the girls got their sharpies ready.

Their fans were so lovely, as usual. Perrie, Leigh-Anne, Jade, and Jesy signed the many copies of Salute, and held small conversations with the people who had come to see them. The majority of them were the typical conversations: “Salute is amazing! I love you guys so much!” And the girls would reply, “Aw, thank you! We love you, too!” After that, they would go on to the next person, and it would start all over again.

The one that was coming was a bit different, though. Jesy saw her coming, and wasn’t afraid to admit that the next girl in line was beautiful. The girl walked over to the girls with Salute in her hand, and the girls got ready to sign it.

“Hi!” Perrie said, her sunny aura lighting up the area.

“Hello!” the girl blushed.

“What’s your name, hun?” Leigh-Anne asked.

“My name’s Kali,” the girl answered.

Jesy took a look at Kali, and she didn’t look a lot younger than she was. She had probably just turned twenty, or was at least nineteen. Her black hair was shining underneath the sunlight, and Jesy felt insecure again.

“Can I just say,” said Kali, “that you guys are my role models? The four of you make such amazing music, and you’re all so beautiful!” Kali stopped for a moment, and stared at Jade. “And Jade, you’re quite the looker yourself,” she winked.

Jade smiled, a small blush creeping on her face. But Jesy couldn’t stand it. Her eyes flew open wide, and she looked down at the table, trying not to make such a scene.

“Thank you,” Jade said. “But—”

“She’s seeing someone!” Jesy blurted out. Her jaw clenched, and she looked back down. WHY DID YOU SAY THAT?! Jesy thought, reprimanding herself.

“Oh, bummer,” Kali said. But, for some strange reason, she said it with a smile. Perhaps she knew that it was never going to happen. Perhaps she knew as well that Jade was too good for her. Should Jesy act that way?—as mature as Kali had?

No. She was going to make Jade fall in love with her.

“But if anything,” Jade continued, “Jesy’s the looker. She’s just too beautiful to function.”

Jesy blushed this time, and she finished signing Kali’s copy of Salute. “Here you go,” Jesy said with a smile. She wasn’t so sure of what to think about Kali, but she was still giddy over the fact that Jade had complimented her—in front of a person who was interested.

Oh, how she loved Jade.

✘✘✘

The girls soon went back to the hotel for one last night. They were heading to Vancouver the next day, and they needed their rest. They hit the beds, and Jesy snuggled into her pillow. She slept well that night, and it was all thanks to Jade.

It was a good thing the voodoo doll was working. She was one step closer to making Jade hers.