Chapter 16

“Listen, Jade—”

“Don’t bother talking to me unless you’ve found a way to break the spell.”

This was how it went every single day since the night of the fair. Jesy did her best. She tried and tried to break the spell that she had on Jade. She played with the doll, trying to figure out ways to break the spell from there. She couldn’t destroy it, otherwise it would kill Jade, and that would be even more painful to Jesy than having her heart broken by her. Jesy looked on the Internet, searching for ways to undo practical voodoo. She read books from any library she went to, looking through the myths, the legends, and the stories, but she couldn’t find a single thing.

Jesy was running out of hope.

Throughout the last month or so, Jesy has had a lot of time to think. With every breath she’s been taking away, she’s been thinking of all the mistakes she’d made. Jesy didn’t think she’d done wrong, of course, but the mistake was right in front of her the entire time. Getting the voodoo doll in the first place wasn’t even the big mistake—but there was no doubt it was one—and Jesy was surprised she couldn’t see it earlier. It walked right in front of her every single day and night, the mistake. It haunted Jesy having to see her every day.

Jesy had made the big mistake of forcing Jade to love her.

✘✘✘

Lies were painful. Most of the time, they were painful to the person being lied to, but in this case, it caused pain to the liar. Or, rather, one of the liars, at least.

“We’re really sorry to disappoint everyone, but Jess and I thought we were better off as friends,” Jade announced. The girls were at BBC Radio with Nick Grimshaw, and Nick just so happened to mention Jade and Jesy’s “love” story.

“Is that true, Jesy?” Nick asked. Jesy felt like rolling her eyes. Nick didn’t need to ask Jesy’s opinion on the situation, since the only other witness to it already answered. But, of course, Nick was a radio show host, and as charming as the girls thought he was, he needed to feed the outside world drama—it was his job.

“That is correct,” Jesy said with a fake smile. “You see, the two of us were so consumed with each other that we didn’t have time for Leigh and Pezz and for our job. Not to mention that we were already close friends, which made it all the worse. That’s all we were, I think. We were just really close friends with temporary romantic tension.”

“Thank you for saying that, Jesy,” Nick said. After that, he went on to talking about the other girls. ‘How is Zayn, Perrie? Any plans for the wedding made, yet?’ ‘So, Leigh-Anne, you rented a yacht with your boyfriend Jordan!’ ‘What can you say for the cancellation of the US Salute Tour?’ Jesy didn’t answer any of them, but left them for the other girls to answer. The only thing that was on Jesy’s mind was having to lie about her relationship. There was no temporary tension between them—Jesy was very much so in love with Jade, and the only problem the relationship collapsed was because Jade found out she didn’t feel that way about Jesy at all.

✘✘✘

“Jade—”

“Have you found a way to break it?”

“I’m sorry.”

“Sorry doesn’t cut it.”

✘✘✘

Jesy couldn’t help that Yahoo! Ask was her only option left.