Chapter 11

“Cell phone?”

“Check.”

“Sweater?”

“Check.”

“Camera?”

“I have my phone, so check.”

“Sunscreen?”

“Che—wait, it’s nowhere near sunny!”

Jade laughed. “I’m just playing with you, Jess!” She grabbed her purse filled with her own necessities, and she headed towards the door of the hotel. The girls were doing a show in Birmingham later that night, but Jesy and Jade decided to do some sight-seeing.

“We’ll be back in time for sound check!” Jade called as she and Jesy headed out the door.

“Have fun!” Perrie called back.

Leigh-Anne smiled, shaking her head. “Those two,” she said with a laugh. “They’re doing everything together. You’d think they were some couple madly in love!”

Perrie laughed, and she sat on the loveseat next to Leigh-Anne. “Well, it’s a thing on the Internet, isn’t it? What’s it called again…? Jadesy, right?”

Leigh-Anne nodded, and she pointed at the television with the remote. “What if they were actually a couple?” Perrie asked.

“I wouldn’t think so,” Leigh-Anne replied. “Jesy’s one for partying a clubs, and Jade likes that Sam boy, remember? Plus, it’d be pretty weird, since Jade and Jesy are like sisters.”

“I used to think that Zayn was a brother to me,” Perrie shrugged. She looked at the ring on her finger. “And look what happened!”

“Are you suggesting that there’s a possibility that Jade and Jesy could eventually be together?” Leigh-Anne asked, looking Perrie directly in the eye.

“I’m saying that it’s not impossible.”

They left the conversation at that.

✘✘✘

“Alright…” Jesy muttered. “Where to go first?”

She and Jade were standing right outside their hotel, wondering where to go. Jesy held the map tightly in her hands, and Jade was looking over her shoulder. Jade rested her head on Jesy’s shoulder, already growing tired from looking at a piece of paper.

“How about we go to the Barber Institute of Fine Arts?” Jade suggested. “Art, paintings, sculptures—it sounds nice.”

Jesy nodded, folded the map, and put it away. “Off we go then!”

Hand-in-hand, Jade and Jesy walked down the streets of Birmingham on the lookout for a bus stop. They sat in the bus, with one earphone in one of their ears, listening to music as loud as they could. They made fun of the lyrics, they laughed at nothing, they posted videos for the Mixers to see, and they simply enjoyed each other’s company.

It felt like a dream come true for Jesy.

The bus stopped, and the two girls once again intertwined their hands as they walked into the museum. They walked inside, looking at the works of art and deciding which ones were their favorites.

Jade and Jesy stopped at one painting that intrigued them both. “That one looks so cool!” Jade exclaimed. Jesy nodded in agreement, and she got out her iPhone. She turned on the camera and snapped a picture.

Someone tapped her shoulder, and Jesy turned. It was a boy no older than his 25’s, and he looked at Jesy with a frown on his face. “No photography, please,” the man said.