Chapter 10

After the breakfast at IHOP, nobody really talked. Leigh-Anne and Perrie stuck together, Jade would try to make things better, and Jesy isolated herself from the world. They all hid behind masks—they acted happy when around others, like they were the greatest of best friends on the planet. No one knew that they were broken.

On the tour bus, three of them sat in the living room. One of them laid in bed. Three of them would step out and enjoy some sun. One of them stayed inside. It was as if one of the girls wasn’t even alive in the first place.

To put it bluntly, Jade was tired of Jesy’s shit.

“Jesy, you need to eat breakfast,” Jade would tell her.

“Mhm. Yeah. I’ll eat later.”

There were always times in which Jade would smile. At least she got the response. At least Jesy ate. At least Jesy actually paid attention to her. It turns out that Jesy didn’t give her a real response, Jesy didn’t eat at all, and Jesy only answered back because she wanted Jade out of her way. Now, Jade was absolutely done. She didn’t go to Jesy three times a day to tell her to eat. She didn’t tell Jesy to clean herself up, brush her teeth, and take a shower. She left Jesy on her own, because she was ultimately done.

 Jesy stayed in her bunk the entire time, and it really upset Jade. “She’s in there with that stupid doll,” Jade would say. No one could tell if she was talking to someone or talking to herself—there wasn’t anyone to listen to Jade.

The girls were now done with the Neon Lights tour, and they were out and about in the world. In this case, they were hiding. They each stayed at home, minding their own business. They didn’t interact with one another,—with the exception of Leigh-Anne and Perrie—, and they even thought about giving up on the band. They didn’t have the chemistry they used to, anyway.

There was a morning in which Jesy called Jade out of nowhere. Jade wondered why, but she didn’t question it. She made the trip to Romford all the way from South Shields.

When Jade made it to Jesy’s house, she saw a mess. Clothes were thrown all over the floor, furniture was flipped over, and framed pictures had fallen and broken. Jade was disturbed by the mess in front of her, and she wondered how this could happen.

“Jesy?” Jade called. The Geordie carefully stepped over clothes and furniture, trying to find her green-eyed friend. “Are you here?”

It took a while for Jade to make it to Jesy’s room. By the time Jade found her, Jesy was lying on her bed. Jade peeked her head into the room, and she saw something in Jesy’s fingers—the doll.

“Jesy, what’s wrong?” Jade asked.

“Can you get me some food?”

Jade stopped in her tracks. “Excuse me?”

“I said, can you get me some food?”

That’s when Jade lost it. “Jesy, what the actual fuck is this?!”

Jesy looked up from the doll in her hands, and she looked at Jade. “What do you mean?”

“You’ve been spending all your time with that fucking doll! Do you have any idea how I feel? Do you have any idea how Leigh-Anne feels?—how Perrie feels? Do you have any fucking idea? We’re a band, for God’s sake! Not only are we a band, but we’re friends! Did you hear me? We’re friends. F-R-I-E-N-D-S. But I’m not even done, we’re best friends. We put no one above ourselves, with the exception of our families. We look out for each other. We take care of each other. We support each other. Have you done any of that? NO. You’ve been lying on your arse day-in and day-out! You’re always in your own little world, Jesy. I would be totally okay if you were, but you shut us out! It’s like you have a repellent that gets rid of us! You don’t let us help you, Jesy, and that’s not okay. I’m not okay!”