Chapter 13

Jesy woke up to see a rose taped to the roof of her bunk. She carefully peeled off the tape, and the rose fell into her hand perfectly. A folded piece of paper fell out of the petals, and Jesy opened it gingerly.

Get dressed and meet me outside the bus :-)

          -Jade xo

Jesy furrowed her eyebrows at the piece of paper, although she knew it wasn’t able to see her confused glare. Why would Jade do something like this? Jesy suddenly remembered earlier that night—Jade holding her tightly, Jade grasping her hand, and Jade confessing the want to kiss her. Jesy was so confused, but she got dressed anyway.

She dressed nicely but simply, as she always wanted to look nice for Jade. She brushed her hair and styled it as she usually did, a bit afraid that she wasn’t looking well enough. But she put on her best, most genuine smile, thinking that if she felt confident, then Jade would think she was confident, too.

Jesy stepped outside the bunk, brushing her dark purple hair out of her face. “Alright, Jade!” Jesy called. “You better have a very good reason for waking me up at 9 when we have the day off—”

Jade grabbed Jesy from behind, her left arm wrapped around the older girl’s waist and her right hand covering Jesy’s mouth. “Sh!” Jade whispered with a giggle. “They’re gonna hear us!”

Jesy carefully picked Jade’s hand off of her face, wiping her hand playfully on Jade’s parka sleeve, and Jade pouted. Jesy brushed it off with a smile, and she led Jade to do the same. “Okay,” Jesy said in a hushed tone. “What are we doing out here this fine, cold morning? Because, if I remember correctly, we have the day off.”

“Exactly!” Jade exclaimed. Her brown eyes widened suddenly, and she clasped her hands over her mouse. “Exactly,” Jade repeated, this time whispering.

“Exactly?” Jesy asked. “What do you mean by exactly?”

Jade stepped off the tour bus, grabbing Jesy’s hand in the process. Jade held up her hand, leading Jesy down the steps—although there were only three, and Jesy could surely manage to do it herself. Jesy stood directly in front of Jade, and she noticed she wasn’t towering over her as much, as Jesy decided not to wear heels. The two girls stood in place for a while, seeming to be lost in each other’s eyes.

Jade suddenly realized she hadn’t let go of Jesy’s hand, and she broke into a smile. “I know we have the day off,” Jade explained.

Jesy was still perplexed, and she fluttered her eyelashes in confusion. “So…?”

Jade laughed, leading Jesy to the sidewalk. “So, I’m taking you out, silly!”

✘✘✘

“It’s quiet,” Jesy commented, taking a long look at the diner.

Jade frowned, but she refrained from looking down at her lap in embarrassment. “We could leave, if you’d like,” she suggested. Jade wanted to be as happy as she could be—she wanted this date to go successfully.

Jesy shook her head. “No, I really like it. It’s so cozy!” Jesy snuggled into her jacket, as if to emphasize the adjective she’d used. Jade giggled slightly—Jesy Nelson was really something.

A young waitress came to the two girls, a desperate smile on her face. It was those kind of young adults that desperately needed a job, and this was their best bet. Jesy could sense the desperation, and she gave the waitress a reassuring smile.