Epilogue

John POV

"Have you heard?"

"What?"

"John Watson. The boy who tried to prove everything was wrong with Freak's suicide. Believed in him. Well, he's gotten a girl and a job."

I groaned. All people could talk about was my trying at picking up my pieces from when my best friend committed suicide. I stood and walked away from the gossipers. I hadn't moved on from him; I was very much alone.

I stopped walking. I thought I saw his dark curls and the collar turned up on his trench coat. It wasn't him, though; it was some girl. I sighed and sat down at a nearby bench.

"John Watson? Is that you? Haven't seen you since Uni!"

I looked up to see a man walking towards me. "Hey Mike!" I said, hoping he'd leave me alone. Too many flashbacks. He killed himself without a note for me to at least have something left of him.

"Heard you were in the army getting shot at. Why you back?"

"Got shot. Shoulder."

He nodded.

"How you liking London?"

"Too expensive on an Army pension. Probably have to room with someone, but who would want me as a roommate?"

Mike started laughing, and I turned to look at him. "What's funny?" I asked.

"You're not the only one that's asked that to me. C'mon I'll introduce you two."
*******
I walked into a lab and looked at the curly haired person standing over a microscope. It seemed to look like the person from earlier.

"Oi! Will! Found you a roommate!"

Will?

He only nodded as he adjusted the focus on the microscope; I just watched. Where have I heard that?

"It's not nice to stare."

I stared at him as all the memories came back. "Fuck!" I screamed, losing balance. "Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!"

"Is he- John!"

I had my eyes clamped closed tightly, fighting back the tears. This is all just a bad dream, and I'll wake up with Sherlock alive beside me in bed.

"You were dead!"

"No, I wasn't. It was a trick to keep you alive."

"Why haven't you came to me?"

"Mycroft."

I just shook my head. "Mycroft doesn't control your actions! He never has! You purposely made sure to go against him! Why?" I screamed, wanting an answer.

"I couldn't! Okay?"

I just shook my head and ran out of the room. Everything was hitting me full force. The memories we made together that I thought I had forgotten kept coming out of nowhere. His pale skin versus the deep purple shirt.

"John?"

I turned and looked at him. "I still love you," I whispered, closing my eyes one last time, hoping he'd disappear.