Chapter 13

Everyone sits around Sam waiting for her to regain consciousness. They're not waiting for long because shortly, Sam slowly opens her eyes. 'Hank.' Erin says when she notices. Hank looks to his daughter and grabs her hand. 

'Sam?' Hank says. Sam looks to her dad and smiles. 'Hey kiddo.' 

'Hi dad.' She whispers. Just in time, Connor walks in.

'Hi Sam. I'm Dr Rhodes. How you feeling?' He asks her.

'I've been better.' Sam laughs quietly.

'You suffered something called an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm or a Triple A. We managed to fix it using a graft, you were lucky enough to be able to have it done using endovascular surgery so you'll be able to return to active duty very soon. We need to run some tests though to see what caused it.' He explains.

'High blood pressure?' Hank questions.

'It could be. You do have a history of hypertension due to neurofibromatosis. We'll run some tests just to be definitive of the cause.' He responds. He then leaves. 

'You know once Shaylynn hears of this she's going to be rushing here, regardless of what Butch or anyone else says.' Severide tells her, smiling at the thought of Shaylynn beating the crap out of Butch, just so she can be with her sister. 

'Yeah.' Sam smiles.

A few days later, Sam is discharged. Just as she's getting ready, she gets a call from Rob, one of Butch's guys. He tells her that Shaylynn is on her way and that Sam should meet her at O'Hare in two hours. He tells her that she'll make sure security knows who she is. 

Within two hours, Sam is at O'Hare, just in time for Shaylynn's landing. Sam slowly gets out the car. She stands and when Shaylynn sees her she smiles. Sam walks towards her and the embrace in a hug. 'Shouldn't you be resting?' Shaylynn asks. 

'I was discharged earlier.' Sam replies. 'And Rob called. He said you'd be coming back. Kelly kind of guessed you would.' 

'I bet he guessed I'd beat the crap out of Butch, just to let me come home?' Shaylynn laughs.

'Probably.' Sam laughs back. 'Anyway. I take it you want to go to the firehouse?' Sam asks.

'What if Kelly's not there?' Shaylynn queries. 

'He's there.' Sam smiles and Shaylynn gives her a confused look. 'I know you keep tabs on me. Countless tab. So I keep tabs on you, alongside Nate.' She informs her. 'Kelly is just starting his shift.' 

'What would we do without each other?' Shaylynn grins as they walk back over to Sam's car. 

'Probably nothing.' Sam grins back and they both laugh. They then get back into Sam's car and within 20 minutes they're pulling up in front of 51.