Rocky Friendships

Sonic’s POV

Silver and Jet looked at me wide eyed and both their jaws open. I wasn’t sure if it was from telling them the wild story of events that happened just a few days ago after track, or that Scourge just came up to the table, talked to me as if I was a friend and then left without picking on any of us.

“Are you guys okay?” I asked picking up one of the nuggets on my tray.

“So, you’re one of the cool kids now?” Jet grumbled looking at me with more of a serious brow.

“What? No they’re not cool in the least! Besides it’s just a truce; a temporary agreement of peace.” I explained, “Besides if I was really part of their crowd I’m sure they’d have invited me to skip class by now, or walk off campus for lunch.”

“How long is this agreement of peace?” Silver asked crossing his arms on the table.

I shrugged, “I don’t know they really didn’t say.”

“Are you a witness of their crime and they thought they could keep your mouth shut by being friends with you?” Jet asked.

“No not really…. I don’t think.” I scratched my ear counting back the moments of the attack when I was walking her to her car.

“You’re lucky that teacher was with you. Do you think for a second that Shadow would have jumped in to rescue only you? Pfft, he would have probably jumped right in to help kill you!” Silver popped open his milk carton.

“Actually, Shadow did defend me. I mean not that I ‘needed’ him too. But when they didn’t back off he stepped between me and them and was ready to fight.”

Jet and Silver was quite for a moment, I know it was probably really hard to believe.

“Oo, Sound like he’s your knight and shinning armor.~” Jet snickered.

“Wh-WHAT??” I choked on my food from his comment.

He clasped his hands together talking in a high girly tone, “Oh Shadow came to my rescue! He’s my hero!~” 

Silver cracked up laughing and beat his fists on the table. My face burned with embarrassment, maybe I shouldn’t have told them about Shadow coming to my defense, and even still did they have to be so immature about it? Ah, what would they know they weren’t actually there; they can’t be as serious, to them it’s just a story but to me its experience.

“Okay Jet, ha ha real funny.” I grumbled trying not to get to upset by his teasing.

“Oh dear Shadow save me, and I’ll be you’re little punching bag for life!” He went on over dramatizing his gestures and acts.

Silver laughed even more, and I just got even more annoyed.

“Hey!” Espio walked up to my side. Jet and Silver became silent again.

“Hi Espio.” I nodded happy that they stopped.

“I never got to say it before but, thanks. For helping me when Shadow and Scourge would kind of turn against me sometimes.”

“Oh, it’s okay.” I smiled.

“I got your back next time you need anything.” He nodded and walked away.

“Oh by the way! I forgot to tell you all but remember that one day when I went to go turn in my math paper?”

“Not really.” Jet grumbled and shrugged not caring.

“I do.” Silver nodded.

“Well on my way in I ran into Scourge and Shadow, and Shadow looked like he’d been crying.”

“Really?” Silver gasped.

“Yeah right, I bet his eyes were just red from getting high.” Jet murmured crunching his milk carton down.

“No, he was crying.” I nodded.

“I wonder what happened.” Silver said, “That way I can do it to him again.”

I frowned; did they not understand that he saved me and Miss Rose? Didn’t that mean anything to them? Even Silver who wasn’t the very violent type or one to get ‘payback’ was acting so heartless.

“Uh oh Silver, your picking on his boyfriend, better watch out.” Jet snickered again.

“Damn it Jet, he’s NOT my boyfriend okay!!” I slammed my hands on the table and my quills stood up. The lunch room got quiet and everyone seemed to stare at me waiting to see if there was a fight.

“Well, someone can’t take a joke. Been hanging with your new friends for too long huh? Why don’t you just stay with them?” Jet growled and took up his tray. Silver seemed to sink down in his chair afraid we were going to fight each other as well.

“No t-that’s not it, I just…”

Jet didn’t listen and picked up his back pack and went to go dump his tray.

“Silver, I didn’t mean to yell like that.” I said seeing he still looked afraid, “I’ve just been through a lot lately…” I sat down putting my ears back. Silver just nodded slightly still trying to keep small.

“I’m sorry Silver I didn’t mean to scare you.” I said not wanting him to feel like he was around Shadow or Scourge…. This is ME, I’ve been there to stick for him since they first started to target us, I protected Silver like another kid brother of mine. Now to see him fear me like I’m the enemy!?

“It’s okay…” He said slowly coming up again, “I just didn’t want you guys to fight.”

“We weren’t.” I shook my head and sighed, “I’ll try to keep myself together.”

“It’s understandable. Going through all of that, I’d expect you to be a little edgy.” Silver nodded, “Jet just has a hard time showing sympathy for others.”

The bell rand dismissing lunch. Silver and I dumped our trays and made it out side separating for our next classes. With this truce, and Shadow being gone it was less stress, I found myself actually paying more attention in class than worrying if I was going to be caught by one of them out in the halls. However I was still thinking about how I’m going to fix things between Jet and I. He holds a grudge against Shadow and Scourge, truce or no truce he’ll most likely forever loath them.