Chapter 16

Rhetorical

As he always did, Xiao Guizi stood obediently beside the emperor as the man continue working on the country's affairs. All kind of reports from ministers and governors were scattered around the large table, waiting to be checked by the ruler of the country. However, the eunuch couldn't help but to throw small curious glances toward the emperor once in awhile.

Lately, what was the emperor had inside his head had been a mystery for the old eunuch. He felt like he didn't know the man he had been serving for years that well anymore. It wasn't about how he ruled the country, there wasn't so much different about that. But the big question was coming about how lenient the emperor treating his consort.

Ever since he was a kid, the emperor had always been a brilliant child. He always knew about what he did and rarely making any wrong decision. It was one of the reason how the emperor could bring Wang Dynasty to its greatest glory. It just... Xiao Guizi was a little worried if the emperor's mind was too clouded by love toward his male consort that would cause the emperor for making wrong judgements and decisions. The emperor seemed wasn't completely clueless about the hatred from his own consort and he was currently in the move in attempt to destroy the emperor. But the emperor acted as if he didn't know anything. It was as if he was trying to close his eyes and ears from whatever his consort did at the moment.

Unfortunately, no matter what he saw in front of his eyes, Xiao Guizi didn't have that much courage to question the emperor.

The trail of thoughts inside Xiao Guizi's head suddenly interrupted by a guard. The said guard seemed a little trembled with fear as he kneeling down in the floor. He was clearly knew the rule that the emperor didn't tolerate any kind of interruptions whenever he had to attend the country's report.

"Pardon for the interruption, Your Majesty." The guard said.

The emperor barely lifted his face from the paper's scroll. "Didn't I make it clear already that I don't want to be interrupted?" The emperor said coldly.

"Yes, Your Majesty, this lowly subject of yours deserve to die," The guard even more look trembled. However he also didn't budge from his position. It seemed that whatever he tried to convey was something urgent.

The emperor sighed, "What is it?"

"His Highness Imperial Noble Consort Yu was in the front of the palace, Sire. He requested to see Your Majesty."

The emperor's face immediately shot upward in surprise. It was so uncommon for his consort seek for his presence on his own initiative. Not to mention that before his consort not even once looked for him during his duty for the country.

"Should I send Consort Yu back, Sire?" The guard asked carefully. Even this kind of small thing could cost his own head.

After short moment of silent, the emperor finally answered, "No, let him in."

The consort Dayu entered the room alone. His maid-servants and guards must waiting outside since the emperor's working room could only be entered by a few selective people. As the consort was getting closer, Xiao Guizi once again seeing something that as the days passed by it became harder to unnoticed; it was how the emperor's eyes immediately softened at the presence of his consort. The eunuch's chest pained a little. This male consort played the emperor like he played a puppet in strings. It was such sad view.

The consort bowed down, "Am I disturbing you, Your Highness?" He asked with his soft voice. His words coated with fake worries when his expression was showing anything but regret for interrupting the emperor. The eunuch was cringed, he was not even sure how the emperor fell for this kind of man.