2

Marcus POV (February 5, 2017) (3:15pm)
(Marcus's Flat in MM)

Sundays are usually my work and catch up days. I sit down, turn on some music, throw some dinner on and finish any homework I had for the weekend. It is like a reset day for people and especially me, with my major I'm very busy throughout the week and I use my free time to write and record music and do shows. Today I decided to finish this chemist theory essay I had and Tehya decided to stop through and keep me company. I enjoy Tehya's company, she is funny and always keeps it real. I have never met a girl I can relate to like her. "Hey, Yaya what do you think about me doing this Open mic this Tuesday? Should I even try? I wrote some dope stuff but what do you think?" I asked Tehya who was laying at the foot of my bed while I was at the head of it. "I don't know." She answers with shrug.

She looks so out of it, I know these past few months have been the worst for her. If I was in her position I'd feel down too. " Hey, Yaya what's going through your mind? I won't ask if you are okay because it's obvious you aren't." I said as I looked at her. She sat up " Mace it's just a lot happening right now, I feel so lost and my soul is tired. Not only is my mom gone but I might lose my college scholarship, I barely even got into this school, I'm not super smart like you and Cj and Jewel. My SAT scores were average and my GPA is super average. I just don't feel good enough and now I fucked up so bad my grades are horrible, I hate being so dumb." She said as she started sobbing uncontrollably.

I have never seen Tehya tear up let alone sob and I have been knowing her for three years so far. I'm not a very emotional person and I am really bad at comforting people but for Tehya Ill try my best because I hate seeing her like this. " Hey, Yaya I know this shit is getting tough, man I hate that all of this is happening to you. Your mother was an amazing lady and I will never understand death to be honest with you." I said as I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and placed her head onto my chest. She began to cry harder. I kissed her forehead. " You have to give yourself time to grieve you won't forget her but one day it will be easier to accept and move forward. Just give yourself time." I said as I rubbed her back.

" And Tehya you are not dumb, not everyone is going to be a scholar in life. Some things come easier to others, imagine me the only black kid in my AP and Honors classes. The teachers didn't even know why I was there. They believed in the Asian and Indian kids more than me, one teacher told me to not even waste my time applying for a school like NYU, even though my test scores were the highest in the class. I had to prove people wrong and work ten times harder. In your case you got to work harder and prove to yourself that you are all the things you say you aren't." I said looking into her red, wet eyes.

She looked back at me and half smiled. " Grades and Scores don't define you as a person Tehya. Their are people who have amazing grades and tests scores and are horrible people who have no soul or substance. You can't let those type of things validate you as a person. I think you are very intelligent, you teach me things I have never  known before. You enlighten me on subjects that the professors here can't teach. America has this obsession with   scores but, you are not a number, you are a beautiful and creative soul." I said wiping her tears. " And if you do need help raising your grades I will always help you Tehya you can't let your pride get in your way." I said.

Tehya is very prideful, she can be in need of something and not ask anyone because she doesn't want to look weak. As a man I have pride but I know when to let it go. " I know Mace I just get weird about asking for help you know that, but I will definitely come to you. Thank you for this, I have been feeling horrible all week but your words have really made me think." She said hugging me. I hugged back , inhaling her sweet, sandalwood perfume. The one she said her mother gave her. " No problem Tehya, that's what friends are for." I said still holding on to her. "You really mean all that shit about me being smart? Or you just saying all that so I won't go jump off the nearest cliff?" She asked being serious.