10

(Marcus POV) (3:25am) (Club Diem)

I was too far gone right now. Drunk, faded, throwed all that. I thought this night would be way different than what it turned out to be. I was now in V.I.P with Simone drinking and dancing. We've been laughing and joking all night; Simone is no doubt the one that got away but it's too much going on in both of our lives for us to be together again.

I could tell it wouldn't end well with us if we tried to rekindle a high school romance because that trust was gone and we were trying to figure out who we both are as people and young adults. Running into her tonight was a blessing in disguise though , it gave me the closure I needed. So I guess I have that stuffy banquet ball to thank for this. I sat my drink down and moved Simone off of my lap so I could get up.

"What is it Marcus?" She asked as I got up trying to find my balance.

"I gotta pee" I said laughing and looking around the crowded club for the bathroom.

"Oh shit! Well we have been drinking a lot." Simone says as we both start laughing.

"I'll be right back" I say heading off to the bathroom.

I could barely hear myself think as Loyalty by Kendrick Lamar blared through the speakers of the club. Kendrick's new album was dope as hell. My second favorite album next to Good Kid Mad City. Loyalty was important to me and knowing I had three best friends who have been nothing but loyal to me made me feel even better about all my problems. I walked into the bathroom finding it surprisingly empty since the whole club was packed. I quickly emptied my bladder and washed my hands and then I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

What do you really want out of life Marcus?

Do you want to be your parents puppet for the rest of your life?

I splashed some water on my face and dried it off with a paper towel, realizing my self interrogation was going nowhere. I was confused. I didn't know who I was. What I wanted and I didn't even know where to start. I knew I wasn't happy but, I didn't have anything else figured out beside that. I left the bathroom and went back to the V.I.P section to see Simone dancing on some random nigga. I didn't know how to feel because for one she wasn't my woman and two she was grown so, she essentially could dance on whoever she wanted to. But, I felt a twinge of jealously seeing her dance on another man. It just reassured me that I needed to get out of this club.

"Aye." I said trying to get her attention.

"Marcus! Hey babe. I thought you left. So I was looking all sad and my new friend Rodrick decided to come over here and cheer me up." She said cuddling up to her "new friend" Rodrick.

I could tell she was drunk out of her mind and I couldn't let her go home drunk with some sleaze bag. God knows what he or some other man would do to a drunk , attractive woman who is alone in a club. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if Simone got hurt.

"Simone your really drunk right now so how about I call your driver to take you home?" I offer to her while gently grabbing her hand.

"Noooo! I'm having fun Mar Mar don't make me leave" She said whining and trying to grab another Hennessy bottle.

"Simone I'm not making you do anything. I just think it's in your best interest to go home right now. I think you have had enough to drink and should call it a night. "

She sighed while rolling her eyes. "Your so lame Marcus."

"Damn nigga you act like you her daddy or some shit?" This random ass nigga said to me.

I was tired, drunk and ready to get in the shower and head to bed. But, this dumb ass nigga wanted to start with me.

"Nah I'm her friend and I care about her. I'm not a scummy ass nigga about to take advantage of a drunk woman. So if I was you I'd shut the fuck up and mind my own business." I said reaching out for Simone again.

"Look Marcus I get the fact that your trying to be a nice friend and all but I would really appreciate it if you would just go. I want to keep enjoying myself so please just l-" She tried to get up but started stumbling so I caught her in my arms. "Simone do you see yourself right now?" I asked looking her in her eyes.

She put her head down and nodded. "Your right. I guess I should be getting out here." I grabbed her purse and lead her out of the club leaving her "new friend" looking dumb. Out of all the years I have spent with Simone I have never seen her like this. Simone was always so put together and in control so this was all new to me. I called her driver and we were currently waiting outside the club for him to arrive.

"I'm sorry about how I've been acting all night. I didn't want you to see me like this Marcus. I'm so embarrassed. " She said while wrapping her arms around herself.

"Don't be, its all good Simone. We all get a little drunk sometimes." I say taking my suit jacket off and wrapping it around her. She smiled at me "Thanks."

"No problem." I say pulling out my phone. I had 20 missed calls from my mom and 6 missed calls from my dad and some unread text messages from Tehya. I decided to check the messages from Tehya because lord knows I didn't feel like speaking to my parents right now especially my mom.

Yaya: Is it safe to drink expired milk? I was about to make a bomb ass bowl of trix and I checked the fridge for some milk and its sour as fuck- 1:12am

Yaya: Helloooo? So you just ain't gonna answer me? Ugh I forgot you aren't much of a night owl. You probably took yo boulder head ass to sleep.- 1:30am

Yaya: Well I threw the milk out didn't want to chance it my stomach is already doing back flips from earlier. I had some bad Indian food. Shit was lethal.- 1:48am

Yaya: where are you?- 2:15am

Yaya: Did somebody abduct you? If it was aliens I'm definitely gonna be hype as fuck.- 2:39am

Yaya: Text me back for real idiot I'm starting to worry. Im about to head to your place to see if you are there.- 3:01am

I shook my head laughing. Yaya was funny as hell man; she was always texting me late at night asking me random shit she could just google. I immediately texted her back so she wouldn't have a heart attack.

Mace: Im good Yaya. I went to my parent's banquet ball then I hit up the club with Simone.-3:59am

As soon as I sent the text message Simone's driver pulled up. I opened the car door for her and she got in. I closed the door and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "It was nice to see you again Simone." She looked somber almost like she didn't want to see me go...

"Marcus I know this might be out of line but I really don't want to go home to an empty place tonight. Can you come home with me? Not for sex but you know... just to keep me company. " She pleaded giving me a look I have never received from her before. A look of desperation.

" I don't know Simone. It's late and I'm really tired." I say rubbing the back of my neck.

"I understand; well maybe we can see each other soon." She says with a more hopeful look.

I nodded, while grinning "Yeah, maybe."

And just like that the car pulled away and into the late night/early morning New York traffic. I envisioned this moment a million times in the past. I imagined I'd take Simone home and make love to her all night. But I didn't; part of me was furious that I let the opportunity to be with Simone tonight slip away and the other part of me knew I made the right decision. If I keep holding on to Simone I'll never be able to let her go. She had some issues to sort out and so did I.

I heard rumors in the media that Simone had drinking problems, even saw pictures and videos of her stumbling out of clubs around town. I just didn't want to believe it and, seeing it in person confirmed it. I felt bad that I couldn't save her but, right now in my life I have to safe myself. I guess I'm on my Whitney Houston shit because I will always love Simone. I was just realizing that you could love someone from a distance.