9

(Marcus POV) (April 15, 2017) (6:30pm)

I was sitting in my apartment half naked in my briefs, staring at my tuxedo my mom bought for me. I honestly don't even want to go to this event. I have been going to galas, charity events and other functions since I was a teenager. I use to not mind them that much but the older I got the more I have grown to despise them. My mom and dad are fancy people and want to be apart of every elite thing in New York. I find a little comfort in knowing Jewel will be there.

I got up to take a shot of Henny to calm my nerves when my phone begin to ring. I checked it and of course it was my mom. "Hey ma dukes wassup?" I said ,clearing my throat from the Henny burn.

"Please don't use that ebonics tonight at the gala. I don't want my friends thinking me and your father raised a ghetto delinquent." My mom said.

"Yes, mother I sincerely apologize for my explicit, inappropriate language." I said trying not to laugh.

"Im serious Marcus, get it together and be at our house at 7:30pm sharp and if your late, you won't like the repercussions understand?"

"Yes, I got you- I mean I understand mother I will be there soon. Goodbye." I say hanging up the phone.

My mom is crazy, I try to find synonyms for that word to describe her but I always come back to crazy. She has always been this way so I'm use to it. I realized a long time ago that my parents are the way ,they are because growing up they didn't have much so they had to work their asses off because they were black and poor and didn't have the same opportunities and resources that young black people have today.

They grew up in the south where it was heavily racist and still is racist but not as heavy as it use to be and they had to deal with segregation and vicious discrimination. So, when they achieved all they wanted to achieve they became the type of black people they are. I don't always care for their snooty, uppity ways but I at least understand the place its coming from.

I stopped procrastinating and got dressed, making sure I was looking and smelling good and you know your boy had that fresh cut. So I was feeling pretty good about myself. I put on my Tom Ford black orchid and I was out the door.

My driver drove me to my parents huge luxury loft in the city. Mine was like the baby version of their loft. I got up to their floor just in time and buzzed the door.

"This must be that hard headed soon of yours George." I heard my mom say as I waited for her to open the door. She opened the door looking gorgeous as usual. "Mommy you look amazing." I say opening my arms for a hug.

" I say opening my arms for a hug

"Oh, whatever boy, get in here." She said as she pulled me inside. She did her full inspection of me and nodded "You look so handsome stinky." I rolled my eyes at her weird nickname for me as she engulfed me with hugs and kisses.

"Aight, Aight that's enough." I laughed and walked further into there loft. It is the epitome of opulence.