FOUR MONTHS LATER

"Tristan..."Sydney said warily from across the house.

I walked into Jen's room.

We painted the walls blue,orange,and purple polka-dots.The furniture was either green or purple.A mobile that played soft lullabies with little multi colored sheep danced about Jen's little head.

"Don't you think something's...off about her?"Sydney said,tilting her head.

"What are you talking about?"I said,absent mindedly putting my hand into the crib as Jen tried to grab it.

"She doesn't really respond to what I do,"Sydney said,and waved her hand above the crib,"See?She doesn't do anything."

"Maybe she doesn't understand."I said.

"I'll take her to the doctor,just to be on the safe side."Sydney said,pursing her lips.

"She'll be fine,"I told Sydney,rubbing her back gently.

Sydney sighed and continued to wave her hand in front of Jen's face.

"Okay,Sydney,that's enough.She's already met you a couple hundred times."I said,trying to get Sydney to look at me.

One week later

"Yep,she's definitley blind."Doctor Lee said,shrugging."There's nothing I can do."

"Are you sure?"I said,taking a step foward.

"Yes.She was born this way.She can't see.She probably will never see.There's nothing I can do about it.I'm very sorry."

Sydney sat down,her eyes staring at the wall,emotionless.

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.My daughter was blind.Okay...what am I supposed to do?Say 'ABRACADABRA'and everything will be alright?

At least we got an explanation.