15

I checked the mail.Nope.Not here yet.When were they going to reply?

What was I waiting for?Three weeks ago,I sent in an application form for Colorado College. I had a really good chance of getting accepted.My art teacher sent in a recommendation in my senior year.Now that we could afford it,I could finally become an artist.

I enjoy drawing abstract things.I draw what I think the world looks like,and I get a very weird looking result.My teacher loved my drawings.

20 years old.College.Woohoo.What after that?

My first thought after reading my diploma(They printed a copy in braile for me to read)was,

Welp,what now?

I ran inside,holding a magazine from the mailbox.

Mom and Dad were sitting on the couch.

"Come here,Jennifer."Mom said.

I sat on the couch.

"Honey,do you know how old your father is?"Mom asked.

"43,I think.Why?"I said.

"I won't be here much longer,Jen."My dad sighed.

Mom swallowed.

"W-what do you mean?"I got what he meant,but I wanted to make sure.

"I...I have an uncureable genetic defect.It's called Marfan syndrome.I'll die from old age earlier than most."He explained sadly.

"So,ten more years?Fifteen more years?"I asked.

"Ten months."

I felt like my heart exploded,and there were only ashes left.

Ten months.After that,bam. No more Colonel Tough Guy.No more Tristan Lockwood.No more Dad.

I blinked.

Dad hugged me,and I was still frozen.

My lower lip quivered.

"I know how you feel,I felt the same way when my dad told me."Dad explained.

Wait.If it was genetic,would I die at 43?No,correction.His birthday was in nine months.So,44.

"Do...do I have the same thing?"I asked.

"Not likely.It seems that only guys get it."Dad sighed again.

"Okay.But...why you?Why now?"I asked,still frozen.

"You can't change fate,Jen.I don't know why I would die now.But it gets worse every generation.My dad died at 51."

Mom was crying.Dad tried to comfort her.

Silence.

"But I did find this in the mail this morning."Dad said,holding up a peice of paper.

I grabbed it and frowned.It wasn't in braile.

"Do you want me to read it to you?"Dad asked.

"Just tell me if I'm going to college."

"Yup."He said instantly.

College! Freakin college!

I squealed.

"Woah,you're gonna freak out Rembrant!"Dad shushed me.

Rembrant barked at the mention of her name.I think Rembrant is a Collee-German Shepard mix.She's fluffy,though.

"But...it says that you're leaving in August."

Six months from now.Great.My dream college,but thankfully,Colorado College is in the town I live in.

Marfan syndrome.I did more research on it.(I had to have the computer read the info to me)

It's  rare,and it actually affects men and women equally.I guess it's just the men that are affected in our family.There is,in fact,no cure,but there's a way to make it better.It affects the bones,making them unnaturally long.This explains why Dad is so freaking tall.It affects the heart valves,and causes them to burst.

It starts showing the heart symptom around the mid 30s through the early 40s.It's fatal.I cried while reading this.My dad will die.He'll be dead.Gone.Six feet underground,in a wooden coffin.Forever asleep.

Death is weird.It's like someone is wiped off the face of the Earth,but you know they aren't.They're right under your feet,but it's like they've disappeared.

And you can't ever,ever find them,unless you get yourself buried,too.

I chided myself for being so childish.Then I chided myself again for thinking that.It's okay to cry if you're freakin dad is dying. Then,I broke down and just cried.I wish I would stop crying.But the tears wouldn't stop flowing.It wasn't fair.

My grandma died when my dad was four.Then,his bestfriend/love interest got hit by a car,the driver an insane freakazoid.Then,he tortured the 2nd love of his life,my mom,and thankfully,they managed to get married(How forgiving can one person be?!).Then,his dad died.Then,that freakazoid captured his only daughter,and tortured her. Then he dies of a genetic defect.

A wonderful life.

Then,I had the computer read the possible symptoms again.

...the disease also affects the eyes,which can lead to blindness.

Oh crap.