"Goodnight,Daddy."Jen said,kissing my forehead.

"Goodnight,Jen."I said.

I headed to bed.

"I feel weird."Sydney said,looking out the window.

"Why?"I said,looking up from my book.

"I feel like something's gonna go wrong."

"That's ridiculous."I said.

"I know."

Sydney got in bed and kissed me goodnight.She turned off the lamp.I waited for her to go to sleep,and I turned the lamp back on and read.

10:53 P.M.

I heard a jingling sound,it sounded like keys.I put my bookmark in my book,and set it down on the bedside table.

I heard the slow creaking of a door.I listened intently,reaching for my phone to call the police.

Footsteps.I could tell she was in high heels.

She walked down the hall.This is what's really scary.The only rooms down the hall are the bathroom...and Jen's room.

I quietly got up.I tip toed down the hall.

I peeked through the door to see a woman standing over Jen.

"Hey!"I shouted.

The woman turned around.Her stringy,dry hair covered her face.She had shaky breathing and her fingers were yellow.I could see hints of cheap pink lipstick.

Scary thing was...she had a taser.Scarier thing was...we lived on the opposite side of town than the police station.I would have to protect Jen for 10-15 minutes.

I bravely stepped into the room.

"Brave,"the woman said in a charming voice,"you were always brave.You stood up for Shelby against my boyfriend.You almost threw yourself in front of a car for her,but you were too late.Your timing is always off.You're too late,Tyler."

Kellie.She flipped her hair back to reveal a slightly wrinkled face,but it was covered by makeup.In all,she was still really pretty.She was obviously drunk,judging by the booze bottle in her left hand.

I took a cautious step foward."Kellie..."

Kellie threw the bottle right above Jen's head,it shattered on the wall,and rained down on my daughter's head.

Jen stirred.

"I gave you a chance!"Kellie screamed."You refused!You were stupid!Stupid!I gave you a chance to love somebody other than the **** you live with now!"

She burst into tears,insane tears,drunken tears,fake tears.

I quickly moved foward for an attempt to grab Jen,and take her away from the drunken horror trying to abduct her,or kill her or worse.

"Dad?"I heard Jen whisper as I reached for her stirring body.

I suddenly felt stinging pain crawl up my abdomen,sucking the life from my soul.I felt the air whoosing out of my lungs,and the pressure change as I fell,and hit my head on the metal backboard of Jen's bed.

CLANG!

"Dad!"I heard Jen scream,her voice echo-ey and distorted.

Then,silence.