Chapter 10: Reset

Sans woke up drowned in agony. Serifa was sleeping next to him with a smile on her face. Trembling, he checked her pulse. Everything seemed normal. He sighed in relief.

-So,that's as far back as I can go... he thought to himself.

He had to think of a plan. A plan to change what had just happened. According to the previous timeline, Sans would leave in a few minutes. Then, he would return in about half an hour, to find the dead Serifa. That meant that they had about 20 minutes to leave the house, before the Royal Guards would show up. They had to hurry.

-Serifa, sweetheart... Wake up. Sans shook her decisively.

-Good morning... she yawned.

-Good morning...come on, let's go!

-Not yet...I'm so tired...

-But you need to get up! We have to...buy the ingredients! For the cake!We promised...remember?

-Can't we do that, like...a bit later...? I wanna sleep more...

-N-No! We have to be early!

Serifa mumbled something in a sleepy voice. Sans had no time to spare. They really needed to hurry out. He pulled away her covers and dragged her out of bed using force.

-Get up, get up and don't be lazy! Sans tried to sing in an attempt to cover for his inexplicable behaviour.

An unseen figure chuckled, but nobody heard it.

-What on earth Sans...

Serifa could barely keep her eyes opened.

-Here we go!!!

Sans grabbed her hand, without even letting her put shoes or any jacket on. He started running out of the room and down the staircase.

-What are you doing?? I'll fall! And I'm still in pijamas!

-You'll be fine, just come with me!!

-Seriously, what's with you today...

Sans opened the door. However, before they even managed to take a few steps out, magic attacks from the Royal Guards flew past him. He heard Serifa's scream and, the next thing he saw was her wounded body falling. He caught her mid-air, but she was already unconscious.

-Serifa!!! Wake up!! Serifa!!

Checking her pulse, he realised it was too late. Serifa had, once again, died.Sans had failed. Panicked and without thinking carefully, he did it again. His left eye flashed.

Sans woke up again for the third time, right next to the sleeping Serifa. This time, however, he had a terrible headache. He realised he shouldn't have time-leaped so soon after the last time he did it.Unable to even stand from the pain, he stayed lying in bed, thinking.

-As soon as we got out, they attacked us...That meals they must be waiting for us to get out...or to separate. he thought. In that case, I'm staying right here with her. It's not like I have enough power to attack them anyway...

Sans had exhausted his powers with the two consecutive time-leaps. He somehow had to recharge, but sleeping was out of the question. He had to stay alert and protect Serifa. Therefore, he just sat on the bed,watching over her.

When the bell rang, Serifa was still asleep. Surprisingly, the bell rang a lot later this time than when it rang in the first timeline. Sans walked out of his bedroom, closing the door behind him.